

Finance Board Meeting Minutes

Date: April 3, 2012

Location: Commons 318

Call meeting to order at: 5:34pm

Members Present

Michelle Kuah

Kaylesh Ramu

Damani Lewis

Kian Larijani

Ebony Tongo*

Morgan Russo

Samantha Spehr

*Not present at beginning of meeting. Enters at 5:56pm.

5:34pm Announcement made by SGA President (Kate Collins)

5:38pm Meeting Prep

6pm Assignment of emails

6:05pm Confirmation of attendance policy

6:15pm SASA

Michelle explains issue with lack of funding to SASA and Mock Trial.

~Description~

“Basically, what we're doing is an end of the year thing. It's whoever wants to do it. They go through some south asian trivia, fashion show, pickup line...It's just a fun way to end the semester. This is our third year doing it.”

~Questions~

Sam: Whose providing the sound system?

A: Commons

Michelle: How are you going to advertise?

A: We just use facebook.

Michelle: Do you know about the 1000 free copies from the SGA?

A: Yes.

6:18pm Mock Trial

~Description~

{Note: Provides quotes for registration fees.}

“The registration fee is to get our case materials for the mock trial and to be able to compete at all. Without that amount, the student org can't function. The second amount, the tournament fee, is the regional tournament. We went to the regional tournament this year and the fees have to be paid before you get the case materials. The case becomes available in August and so getting the case would be something we would want to pay for this semester. As far as the tournament fee, in light of the money situation, that could be tabled until next semester. We ran in a situation this year where we got the registration later on and that really hurt the strength of the organization and our ability to compete. Despite that, we did compete and was quite successful at our three different tournaments.”

~Questions~

Sam: How many people will be attending?

A: We plan to have two teams next year. That is the registration fee for one team. A second team will be almost double the amount, but for right now, the registration for one team is what we have secured members for. It's ten members per team. Also, anyone else who attends. We did have students attend this year who weren't competing so we estimate fifth-teen per team.

Ebony: Your location says 'not applicable'?

A: Because since it's the registration fee, it gets us case materials.

Ebony: So where is the tournament?

A: University of Maryland, Law School. It's always the same weekend of the year during the second week of February.

Michelle: Even though tournament isn't happening til next year, you need access to the case?

A: Right. The org that give the case, the AMTA, wants both fees up front. However, last year we were able to work out giving them the case fee and then giving them the tournament fee afterwards.

Michelle: Therefore, we're crossing out line item two and the new total is \$350.

Morgan: What is the AMTA?

A: American Mock Trail Association

Morgan: Is there any other association that you can go through instead? Because this seems kind of expensive

A: This is the only organization in the entire country that does Mock Trial.

{Note: 6:24pm Sam leaves room; 6:27pm Kaylesh leaves room; 6:28pm Sam returns; 6:28pm Kian leaves room}

6:30pm New Hope in UMBC

Michelle explains issue with funding.

~Description~

{Note: Group presents quotes/breakdown of cost}

“Our event is planned for May 1st. The price we have right now is from the website that we plan on ordering from. So far, it's all an estimate, right now. We're thinking about having 25 people, but we might have more or less people. Our organization is a Korean Bible Study. We have plans to invite other people from other schools as well.”

~Questions~

Sam: Does these prices include tax?

A: The ones on the bottom include tax. We went on the website. The first page is from chick-fil-a, the second one is from safeway. The final price includes everything, including tax.

Craig: With tax, that adds up to \$166.30.

{Note: Michelle explains tax policy.}

Sam: Can you walk me through your event?

A: We'll have people come in and we'll talk about life in school and outside of school. We'll try to interact with other schools as well. At first we have bible study, then we'll have people come in and we'll talk about anything.

{Note: 6:36pm Morgan leaves room}

Sam: What role does food play in this event?

A: It allows people to come together and it makes it easier for them to focus.

Ebony: How do you plan on advertising?

A: We have some people we can ask for posters. We were going to make posters, flyers, and invite people through a facebook event page.

{Note: 6:37pm Kian returns}

Sam: Number two says decoration/supplies, so are we striking that?

A: Yes

Michelle: So removing line item two, with tax, the total stands at \$166.30. We'll do calculations without tax later.

Michelle: Do you all know about the thousand free fliers that you can get with the SGA printer?

A: Yes, but we have people that can make it.

6:39pm AICHE

"We're looking to have an end of the school year barbeque on May 11th. That's right before finals week. It's a time to kick back before finals. It's the Friday before free hour. This is also our opportunity to say goodbye to the seniors. We had a barbeque at the beginning of the school year which turned out really well. It's an expensive way for us to have a social event. The \$169.72 is for food. Last time we had a little bit more, but then we had extra so this time we're trying to cut back on what we're ordering. Also, we've had some fundraisers throughout the year. We do have some money that can go towards this. I think we have \$50 that can go towards this. So if you want to bring it down to 119.72, that'll be fine too. We're probably going to be sending out emails to everyone in our list proc. Of course, it's open to all students. You don't have to be a chemical engineer."

~Questions~

Ebony: You said that it's during free hour, how accessible do you think the walker apartments will be during that short time span?

A: It's on a Friday and generally people leave early so while it is during free hour, it doesn't necessarily end at one. Some people will come a little early. Some people will leave a little late. A lot of people come and go. We choose walker apartments because they already have the barbeque there. They have the volleyball courts as well.

Michelle: Have you confirmed the walker location?

A: I am not aware of a reservation policy, but I can doublecheck.

{Note: 6:42pm Morgan returns}

Damani: You have to talk to Cindy Malone down in the reslife office. It wouldn't be good if your group got there and the space is already occupied by a group who has already reserved it.

Michelle: Also, the Finance Board requires confirmation of locations. but since it's reslife, we understand that they work a little differently as far as policy and reservation.

6:47pm Break

Michelle leaves during break. Sam takes over as chair.

6:52pm Return from Break

6:54pm Anime Society

~Description~

"Anime's Society's Spring 2012 24 hour anime showing. We usually get from 75-80 official attendees, however, not everyone signs in either because it's dark or they're lazy. The request covers...anything that can possibly go wrong. The pamphlets lets everyone know what's going on and what's playing when. Last year, we ordered a hundred and had nine left over.

~Questions~

Morgan: How do you feel pamphlets will affect the event?

A: It lets people know what's going on when. That way, they can leave during something they don't like. They can use the time to get food or do something else.

Mo: So it's basically a giveaway?

A: Basically. It gives everyone an idea of what's going on.

Morgan: Do you think that you can possibly just put it on facebook?

A: We tried that and it didn't work, because people really didn't go on it.

Damani: I don't see it as a giveaway. It's the same as any sort of program that's given out during the event. I don't it's fair to hold a 24 hour event, and not let people know what's going on. Do you plan on advertising?

A: Yes, through spotlight, by mailing the people on our list proc, and through chalking.

7:00pm Priorities Discussion

7:13pm Pre-pharmacy

Sam explains the issue with funding.

~Description~

"Basically, we're going to have a dinner with a bunch of health care professionals. So we are requesting food and will be ordering from chartwells at \$15 per person. We have sign up sheets. There were thirty-four people from our club, but we also have invited other people from pre-professional programs...but they have not responded back yet. We're also going to put spotlight and advertising up as soon as we are funded. So far we have forty people that are coming, including six guest. Actually, we have seven speakers. So for the forty-one speakers that are coming, that is a total of \$600 just for the food. Mr.

Booker said that the equipment will be \$80, that's for the LCD and sound. We're also asking for funds for the thank you gifts for the speakers. They're professionals and they're taking time to come to speak us so we're trying to provide a thank you. We don't have a specific breakdown, but we are requesting \$100, at \$10 per person. We're going to have about ten speakers. So we're asking for a total of \$780. The purpose of the event is just networking so that we can meet with the healthcare professionals. We do have other speakers who are not pharmacist, and so that's why we opened it to other pre-professional clubs. It's something that we did last year. It was really successful. It provided a lot of the kids in the club with mentors and it provided the opportunity for them to have one on one interactions with professionals."

~Questions~

Damani: Assuming \$15 person, you're expecting about 40 people?

A: We have an online list that we emailed out. We have 34 confirmed. That's just students. The 40 is just an estimate that is also accounting for our speakers. If we put it on spotlight, we might have additional people who are not signed up right now so we need at least \$600 for the food for the forty people that are confirmed as of now.

Damani: Aside from spotlight, are you advertising in any other way?

A: We have flyers and spotlight.

Sam: When I spoke with you yesterday, you went into more detail about the thank you gifts. Can you share those details?

A: I was thinking about getting actual thank you letters. I saw ten UMBC envelopes for \$8.99 at the UMBC book store. I was looking for the cheapest mug. We were planning on giving them a UMBC labelled mug. They were \$8.99 each. It's \$1.49 for a UMBC bag. We were trying to make everything official. When I calculated those, I got about \$11.11 per speaker. I understand we're having anywhere between 6-10 speakers. That's why we're requesting the 100 for \$10 per person. If we need more money, I would just get it from my personal money or club money.

Kian: Honorarium aside, looking at food in particular, if the finance board only partially funded your food, do you have any funding leftover in your carry-over?

A: We don't have any money in our carry-over. We just have a little less than \$100 for the rest of the semester.

Morgan: If we gave you \$80 for the skylight lounge, would that be sufficient for the event?

A: That's just for reserving the place and to use the mics, podium, and the sound. I guess we won't have food, but the purpose was to have food. Last year, we had a bunch of tables and one professional would sit at each table and five-ten students would sit around the professional and talk while having dinner. If you're not funding food, it'd be awkward. It'd just be speaking and then leaving. We arranged for two hours and it would really help if there was food on the table.

Morgan: So it could happen without food?

A: We advertised it as a dinner. It's suppose to be a formal dinner.

Morgan: Can you somehow have the event with the \$80? Because I probably would not fund the food. If I was voting individually, should I give you nothing or \$80?

A: I'm not sure. We've already confirmed the speakers, but it's suppose to be a formal dinner. It would be awkward just sitting around table, but I guess we could have it.

Sam: Since we're voting on everything today or tomorrow, we're going to need a breakdown for your thank you gifts.

A: I don't have it written down. {Note: Gives verbal breakdown; same as above} Without tax, the total is \$10.48 per person, in additional to the \$8.99 for the envelopes.

Sam: The total I get is 113.79. That brings the complete total to \$793.79.

Kian: Do you have any other sources of funding for this event? Because, as Morgan said, the finance board is low on funds.

A: No, we don't.

Kian: So the minimum you need is \$700 and you think the thank you gifts are absolutely essential to the event?

A: Yes, because the professionals are taking the time out of their schedules to come speak with us.

Kian: If you didn't have the thank you gifts, would that diminish the quality of the event? If the finance board didn't fund the thank you gifts, would you still have the event?

A: Yes, we would still have it.

7:29pm Cleftomanics

Sam explains issue with funding

~Description~

"It's our spring concert. We do it once every spring for the last three-four years. It's basically a potluck and so we call it poca. We hold in in the ampitheater in fine arts. We set up food at the top level of it. Some of it's catered, some of it is brought in by families. We have groups that sing in the actual theater part of the ampitheater. We usually get a pretty big crowd that comes out...it's everyone, everywhere. The guy who created the celftos originally is now in a different group professionally. He offered to have his group come and perform with us. They are also the same people who are running our staff."

~Questions~

Morgan: You said that you're bringing in outside food, so if the finance board didn't fund food, would your event still be able to happen?

A: It would. We know that there are a lot of policies in regards to food that can brought it. We're hoping that we can get this. We can hold this event as it normally takes place as opposed to just doing bakery things.

Sam: What role does food play in your event?

A: It makes it a potluck. It's a sense of community building. We have a light intermissions where the groups can meet everyone. We have groups that come here from other schools as well. It serves as an advertising and social event.

Sam: It says that you have other sources of funding in your club account. Say that if this was partially funded, would you be able to cover some of the cost yourselves?

A: I think the club account would be more towards the recording.

7:40pm Golden Key International Honor Society

{Note: Michelle returns and acts as chair again.}

"We're the international honors society. Basically, the event that we wish to hold is a Mr. UMBC pageant show. We hope to raise school spirits and meet our full internal standards. We know that we are a restricted organization, but this event should be open to everyone. In fact, we are trying to cohost this event with SEB. Apparently we have the UC ballroom from 4pm to 11pm. We believe that our event will run from 7pm to 10pm. The doors will open at 6:30pm. There is also no price for admission. Our president already met with Mr. Booker in regards to the listings on the sheet...For marketing, we have already met with common vision and we have selected the 4B marketing plan...We hope to have the design out by Friday. We have about two weeks to advertise."

~Questions~

Michelle: Are you going to the giant from here?

A: We're ordering with business services. They'll place the order through peapod.

Morgan: What is your organization and how does it relate to the event?

A: Our organization is an international honor society. It is a restricted organization, but for this event we really hope to raise school spirit. It'll also help us achieve some of our internal standards that we need to meet. It basically has the mission to help students get more involved through the organization.

Michelle: How does one become a member of your organization?

A: In order to be a member, they send mail to you and then you pay a fee to join.

Morgan: I don't really understand what the organization does.

A: It depends on who the executive board is and what they want to see happen. Basically, we have internal standards that we need to meet for events involving our members. For example, get alumni involved in an event.

Sam: What role does food play in your event?

A: It'll help maintain the interest level since it is a three hour event.

Morgan: Do you have any participants and are you still accepting more participants?

A: I believe we'll have about twenty participants and it'll be restricted to juniors and seniors. To find participants, I believe that we'll use The Retriever Weekly or spotlight.

Michelle: Can you just go into a little bit more information about how you go about the selection process?

A: I am currently not sure about this, because I believe the president is in charge of that.

Kian: Can you walk me through this event? What should I expect to see from the participants in this?

A: This event came from the idea of high school events such as Mr. Churchill and things like that. I believe they'll start with displaying talents and then displaying beachwear. It'll display humor and personality throughout the event. Since we're working with SEB, we're going to use them to help pick the judges and with the selection process.

Ebony: How does one decide to participate as one of the candidates from UMBC?

A: We'll advertise that we're searching for participants. I think we'll probably have a questionnaire. Then we'll whittle them down through SEB. We plan to have about twenty and five or more will be eliminated each round.

7:59pm Alpha Nu Omega

Michelle explains issue w/ funding

{Note: 7:59pm Ebony leaves out.}

~Description~

"This is for our annual study event. We're hosting it on Monday which is the 11th. It is basically a 12 hour study space where people can have a controlled environment to study and have food for them to study. That way they don't have to leave to just get food. We will also provide them with pencil and paper to facilitate them with their studying.

~Questions~

Sam: How many people do you expect to attend?

A: Every year, it's a big turnout. Some people come and go, but I would say on an average 80-100 people stay per year. Not everyone stays for the entire time, but the majority of the time, people stay there and study.

{Note: 8:04pm Ebony returns}

Kian: Wasn't it a problem one time with the harbor doors closing during the event? Is the multipurpose room opened twenty-four hours? No, the front desk was saying that people were coming in and out without being signed in by someone, or without signing in themselves.

Michelle: The Harbor doors do lock at 1am.

Kian: Is that going to be a concern for this event?

A: It shouldn't be a concern for this event, because there will always be someone near the doors. The door is also going to open so people can just come freely. It's in the multipurpose room so it's not like in the Harbor cafe or anything.

Sam: What do you think food adds to the event?

A: I think it adds a lot to the event. Food brings people. Also for people, it's there. It gives them something to snack on while they are studying. Every semester, we've always had food at this event. One thing I remember last semester, we had an issue with the study supplies. There was an argument that it was a giveaway. It aids the event. How can you had a study event without pens and paper and things of that nature.

Damani: I'm pretty sure reslife has a 24 hour policy during the time of your event, has that ever been a conflict in the past?

A: No. We try to keep the environment pretty controlled. There's a louder side for group study, but it usually doesn't get that loud.

8:09pm Steel Drum

~Description~

"What the event is...it's a really big performance event with 10-11 steel drum bands in Maryland from middleschools, elementary schools, and occasionaly some college groups as well. I'm having trouble convincing people who are suppose our members to pay."

~Questions~

Michelle: We need to see information as far as mileage. Did you mapquest this?

A: It's mainly 40 miles from campus. I don't remember how I particularly calculated gas prices. It's 185.04 at 385 per gallon.

Michelle: I see the information written down, but we need to see where you got the information from. You can use mapquest and put UMBC as the origin. You can do a screenshot or print. We also need to know how you calculated the gas.

Morgan: Also, is there anyway that you can avoid the tolls?

A: We'll take a look at that.

Ebony: How many people are going?

A: About ten people.

Ebony: So five people in a car?

A: We plan to have a couple of band members in each car along with our instruments.

Ebony: Did you ask if they could chip in?

A: Yes, I did. I'm alright with paying for my own vehicle, but not everyone is as invested into the band as I am.

Michelle: What type of event is Panorama 2012?

A: It's a performance event with Steel Bands from across Maryland performing.

8:19pm Debate Club

~Description~

"This is from the request made weeks ago. You guys wanted us to request for each tournament separately. This is for the cost of registration. Without registration we can't really play. Registration for a team of two is \$120. That's \$60 per person. We've gotten discounts in the pass. We were hoping our last president sent an email out for a discount, but there is no guarantee that we would get it. We expect to have a total of 10. It's 50/person. That's 500 and that's how many people we want and that's 10 people we plan on taking with us. We'll secure our own ride. We're just asking for registration which covers housing and food. We've asked this before. If we do get the discount, a lot of money will be saved."

~Questions~

Michelle: Do you know when you would know a definite yes or a no for the discount?

A: The deadline is next tuesday so we'll definitely hear a confirmation before Tuesday.

Michelle: So after next tuesday, this is closed then? You wont be able to enter the tournament?

A: We usually have a discount by that time. In the past, what the vice president done has sent an email out. We usually get a very quick response. So I would definetly say by the end of the week.

Morgan: If we don't give you any money at all, will it still happen?

A: Nobody will come out of pocket. We have 180 in our carry over, but that's only one team and want at least 2 teams to attend. We can make something work if we just go for 110, but we prefer that we get something else.

{Note: 8:24pm Kian left room}

{Note: Question is raised about deadline issue since they mentioned that the deadline is on Tuesday.}

A: We just need to be confirmed by Tuesday. It doesn't have to be paid first. We won't use this money until the day of the tournament.

Craig: You said that you have about a team's worth in your carryover. Is there any room for the cost to be brought down?

A: Certainly.

Michelle: If the finance board was not able to give you an answer by next Tuesday, how do you plan on handling that situation?

A: We don't want it funded at all or we'll only send one team.

8:33pm Freedom Alliance

{Note: 8:33pm Kian returns}

~Description~

"As a lot of you may know, the Freedom Alliance drag show has been very successful and stable event for UMBC. All our participants leave with a cultural experience that they might not have had before. Also, it gives a lot of people a non-threatening environment to go and see drag. A lot of people want to go to large clubs that do drag and things like that. At the same time, it's a cultural experience that people don't often get. It's always been a successful event."

~Questions~

Sam: Is marketing a common vision package?

A: Yes

Damani: How many people are you expecting?

A: {Note: the UC holds 450 people}. We usually max out. Last year, we were competing with two other large scale events and we almost had it still max out.

Sam: Was there a drag show at BeMoreProud?

A: Yes.

Sam: Do you think that it would effect turnout.

A: No. A lot of people who signed up for the coference didn't attend the last session of the drag show.

Sam: There are people performing, right? So you don't have contracts or anything. Are they doing it voluntarily?

A: There are mostly student and outside performers, but I think that the only contract we need are for the host. Well, all the performers will have contracts, but the only one that is paid is the host.

Sam: How much is that?

A: \$200

Michelle: Other than commonvision, do you have any other plans for advertsing?

A: Facebook and word of mouth. Word of mouth is the greatest one. It reaches the most amount of students.

8:40pm Hindu Student Council

{Note: Michelle explains issue with funding}

~Description~

"We're a religious organization on campus. We've done several events. One that we're planning on doing, and that we're asking for funds for, is our final Puja. Puja is a prayer or worship asking for blessings for final exams. It's usally 50-75 people that come. Open to everybody. We have food at the end. It's just an offering. It's food blessed by God. We give them blessing. Materials are trays and burners. Instead of \$20, that's \$30. We want to take \$5 from papercups and water. Food is just going to be like bananas and apples. We already have contracts for food."

~Questions~

Craig: Where is the food coming from?

A: Indigma. It's in Baltimore. They catered our food last year.

Michelle: Do you have quotes?

A: I have it written down.

{Note: Michelle asks org to email quotes and explains policy on quotes}

8:45pm Biomedical Engineering Society

{Note: Michelle explains issue with funding.}

~Description~

"We're a relatively new organization on campus. What we're trying to do is have one or two social events so that members can bring their friends from their engineering classes or their other science classes so that we can build our membership. Basically, we only have about 15-20 people coming to every meeting so we're focusing on reaching out to the sciences and younger generation of engineers. Most of us are seniors so we're graduating this semester. The idea is that we're having a really informal cookout at Walker. Our younger members will bring their friends so that we can make connections with them. We also have elections coming up for next year so want to build out membership beforehand. We will also play volleyball."

~Questions~

Ebony: How do you plan on advertising?

A: We can ask the advisors to send out an email to the listproc. Word of mouth is really a big one. We do plan on sending out emails. It is open to everybody, but I don't think other majors will be interested.

Damani: If the Finance Board wasn't able to fund this, do you have another form of gathering the dollar for this event?

A: Not really. We have 30 from bakesale to get pizza for elections. We whether have our little funding to go for pizza.

Mi: Do you have a breakdown for the type of food? So you're not getting it through peapod,

D: explains 1000

Shannon cleared cleptomaniacs for date

8:52pm Theatre COM

Description

New event/old event. 24 hour play for the last few years which is basically 24 hour period where people direct and perform plays came out with the idea to extend over the period of the semester. Higher quality shows and more publicity in general. It's a way for us to get more people educated about the event on campus. We actually registered that we were going to work in 306, but in the interest in cutting back on lighting. We cut down for the list I just handed out. Our total comes down to We cut the black yoga pants...and the price went down to...for the one that has a total of t291 we're cutting the doors and the patterns, we're cutting everything expect for door and packet.

Questions

Mo: Do you know the capacity of the room

A: About 30, maybe a little bit more, 30-40

Sam; How many people do you expect to attend the event

A: We're not selling tickets, but selling out, for three nights 120

Sam; I don't know if my memory is correct, is this a different event from last semester

A: Last event had one day, and this is the same if you stretch that event out over three days

Sam; So you have this twice a year

A: Yes

Michelle: Do you know the number without sales tax, Since it's finance board policy to not fund sales tax?

A: I know the wig on it is without tax so it's 73.43.

Mi: Other than common vision, any other source of funding?

A: Youtube, facebook, word of mouth.

9:04pm Filmmakers Anonymous

Michelle explains issues with funds.

Description

We're trying to host lightstruck which is a student run film festival that hosts student films. It shows student films video animation, it's a good way for students to get their names/work out. The creative alliance is where I plan on hosting it. The food we're ordering through Chartwells and we're ordering the same stuff as last year. This time we want advertising to go further than common vision. All of the films are made by UMBC students so it's nice for students to get their work out of their. We narrow it down to about two hours.

Questions

Mo: Where is the creative alliance

A: Downtown Baltimore

Sam; Do you think it'll have an effect on your turnout since it's off campus

A: Last year, we had a pretty good turnout. We usually get students, professors, and people in the area

D: You had people last year in the same place, how many people came out

A: 150

Mi: Do you know about how many umbc students

A: Most umbc students and the family of those that attended and umbc alumni.

S: How does food add to the event?

A: Motivate people to come and gather around the food network, come for the event

D: In terms of food, how essential do you feel for it to get people to get off campus? Do you feel like that is enough of an incentive to come?

A: The main incentive of the event is the actual video the guest. The food is pretty much making sure that everyone gets what they would need.

9:19pm Break

9:22pm Back from break

9:22pm Alpha Kappa Delta Phi

Es

Description

This summer, 4k for cancer, going to portland for campus awareness. Had to fundraise \$800 through funding. I wanted to ask for money for the sound system. Quote for the event management handbook. I have a lot of connections in the dance community and I made a whole list of dance troupes and boys that we know. We'll also ask for the dance department/cheerleading to do a 3-5 minute performance. 5:30pm will be set-up so they will perform throughout the 2 hours and basically if anyone wants to donate, it's fine, but it'd be up to you. I ask to give a heads up if they could do it. I asked dominique or donkey in the community. He ask his friends. He has a lot of connections the greek orgs do strolling. All greeks really like it too I have a connection with the Asian orgs. I know FASFA does a lot of dancers. Like the orgs that usually does performers to dance like the indian dance group on campus. A half circle where they would just free style. It's kinda like I know greek orgs from JSU and CPO

Questions

Michelle: So this event is to raise money, so that you can do the 4K?

A: All that money goes to charity, so it's a min, we have to meeting. Whatever I don't make, I have to pay myself. I know people who did funding like bake sales.

Michelle: How do you plan on advertising?

A: FB and word of mouth. I know people who know about it know.

Michelle: Have you looked into alternative sources of funding?

A: Our chapter has funding, but since it's individual, I didn't want to fund it. Since it's not based on the org itself. It's just a charity cost

9:31pm AKDP 2nd requesting

Description

beginning of may, we're hosting a week in asia. A movie night, the cost of projectors that were worrying about. An asian film, a korean film and a vietnamese film.

Sam; Do you have copyrights for your films

A: Um...

Michelle: explains policy

Is location confirmed?

A: Yes, lecture hall 5.

Sam: How do you plan on advertising?

A: FB

Sam; What's your expected turnout?

A: Hopefully 50

Sam: Alternative sources of funding

A: It'll just come out of our chapter

Michelle: Is it just for members of your chapter.

A: Usually the asian orgs are a bit closed. It's a good way to branch out.

9:39p Taal Acapella

Michelle explains issue w/ funding

Description

At the end of semester, planning to do show on umbc campus. Inviting other acapella group to perform with us. Other acapella groups in this area. Basically, the major things we need for this show is the sound system. I tried going through many other avenues. I tried everything I could think of, even private people who could have done it for less money, but that didn't work. {Gives print out} The second thing requesting is advertising. If that isn't given, then fine. The place we have the event booked is lecture hall. If we don't have a sound system then we can't have last performances

Questions

Sam; How many people do you expect

A: We're expecting around 100

E: Is this advertised through commonvision

A: Yes

Sam; Which other groups are performing

Collegepark, geogia tech, GHU, a few others. Good number of groups invited

Sam; Do you think you would get a greater turnout with advertising?

A: I also planning on telling people through word of mouth and we can put

Sam; Do you have any alternative sources of funding with partial funding?

A: I couldn't find another source. I tried, but I couldn't.

Sam; I sthere any other sources of funding besides SGA?

A: Most is better than nothing.

9:58pm QUMBC

Description

First annual anniversary gala. Want to make it a staple at umbc this year, in terms of large scale recruitment event, there aren't really any of those on campus. Strategically placed at the end of the year, allows us to potentially invite our new comers. In terms of umbc student, this event, will be a semi-informal gala. It's also a recruitment event in addition to it's social and educational components. A lot of organizations that will be in aattendance are pretty much in connection that we have made. It'll be 100 or so people who have come to the event. We've bring back our partners we have been working with in oder

Questions

Craig, you have 1500 on your request form, but catering 12000

A: 1500 for the type of dinnerware we wanted to get. We didn't know that thee FB would run out of money at this point, but it's one of those things that is not absolutely mandatory, it's just better dinnerware. I actually asked them to changed that seeing as how you guys don't have money

D: How many people are you expecting?

A: 150 people minus our community partners

K: So because we're low in funds, is there a partially funding amount that the org can accept?

A: The part of the decorations, I would say 188.85 for tablecloths is flexible. I have to check with commonvision, basically with the nametags, I feel like it's a crucial component to the event since it is a networking event. We could potentially find other sources of fund. I'm not sure how much is in our carryover, but it could be more than that.

S: I'm confused about the plastic ware. The additional 300 would be actual dinnerware.

A: We want to make it an actual gala. We would love to be able to keep everything but we would much rather for this event to happen than its not. Those are the actualy numbers we'd be comfortable with. Dinnerware and decorations.

Sam: Decorations are you saying everythig or all of it

A: The decorations are per table and there will be 15 tables there. The centerpieces are 5 a piece and that's 500

Sam: What does it mean when you say you're flexible in the decorations

A: It's up to your descretion as to how much you keep. The decorations and the tablecloths really add to the event. If we can't get these. I will try to figure out something.

10:17pm Entrepreneurial Society

10:18pm Phi Beta Sigma

Discussion

Results

\$1750

Memembers

0 for, 5 opposed, 1 abstaining, 1 not present

10:25pm KBS

0 for, 5 opposed, 1 abstaining, 1 not present

Recruitment and food event

10:28pm HVZ

0 for, 5 opposed, 1 abstaining, 1 not present

Very expensive. Too much money

10:29pm Invisible Children

10:39pm Y.O.U + SEB

Sam: Favored orgs that performance

Kian: The whole idea of using a cash prize is taking money from one student and giving it to another org.

0 for, 5 opposed, 1 abstaining, 1 not present

10:43pm Kian leaves out

10:43pm SAEPi

0 for, 5 opposed, 1 abstaining, 1 not present

10:46pm History Student Council

Sam; They did have two film screening and this is the cheaper one

Mi: Let's look at both, ordinarily, I'd be all for

Sam: They're advertising and I do know it goes with what their org is about, they have it during a scheduled class time, and they have an rsvp system that favors the history the department. I'm leaning to denying all three request.

10:48: Kian returns

D: They way I see it, it seems like the funding is more so to enhance the class and people can come. I think the movie is fine, but I don't think that the funds should come from here.

M: Is anyone opposed to funding one over the other

E: They both seem the same for me

Mi: So for April 24th Hiro Jima screening

0 for, 5 opposed, 1 abstaining, 1 not present

Screening Dr. Strange love

0 for, 5 opposed, 1 abstaining, 1 not present

10:51pm KCM

Mi: If we vote on anything now, they wouldn't be doing it as living water, they'd be KCM intervarsity crue, bethel, cosponsoring together for a lot of diff. Religious orgs to come together. A night of worship and praise

Sam; I don't think it's necessary for the event to happen. I think advertising is important, not housekeeping or food.

D: It sounds like entrepreneurial but it's more thumbs down on that. I don't know how I feel about food. I think it's tough because 9/10 we fund events are student oriented. Events like this can really be achieved throughout like emails for the org rather than 285 for advertising. In terms at the vent, it might have to thumbs down.

Sam; I think that they just don't need funding for this event to happen.

Sam; I think they con

Results

0 for, 5 opposed, 1 abstaining, 1 not present

11:13pm PakSA

Sam: It's too expensive for the amount that we have left and they're only bringing out one person.

Craig: They don't have a track record. They said that they

Sam: They said that they have 800 in they carryover

Michelle: It was in skylight.

Mo:

4 opposed, 2 abstaining, 1 not present.

11:17pm TKE

D: Is that attributed to bad marketing?

S: He didn't say much about it, but I did see a lot of advertising for it. It was advertised well, but I just...I guess he just brought that up, because he was like why was this event successful.

Mo: If there were 400 greeks, then I would be concerned. I don't think it's a big deal, because it was other people come in.

Michelle: They did not have advertising listed on their request.

Craig: It's for charity. The problem is that you're supporting an event in which the sole purpose is to benefit. I would make the same argument for relay for life. The problem is that it's for charity and it's against state law to take this money and give it to a particular. You might be able to make the argument because you're only supporting that.

Kian: What bugs me is that this event is intended to raise funds for the landsdowne fire department. I do think that safe driving is very important and I think it's a good fund that this is not intended in any way to

Sam; I want to know, Kian, how do you view it as different from other events in the past where they say that we're not charging students but we're accepting donations. If I haven't looked at the fact that it's a benefit from,

Kian: Do we have a problem with accepting donations.

D: I feel like one event we had where it was you have to pay a donation, wasn't it a carnival

Sam; We voted this down because we had to donate.

Kian: I'd rather see it go into their carryover. There should be no proceeds at all.

Mi: How are we looking to fund this? Thumbs

Sam: If we have enough money at the end, then I want to fund this.

11:30pm Vegetarians

Sam: They said that if the event wasn't funded at all that it just wouldn't be very good.

Mi: I think we're clear for t-shirts. We're not funding t-shirts because it goes against what they said.

11:34pm Caribbean Student Council

Food quote 369.08

D: It gets a lot of people. They do a pretty good job. You can tell it has a Caribbean feel to it. The paint powder is pretty cool. It's Erickson field. Everyone can see it. It's accessible. You can just come on down and get food

Results:

Mi: Keeping a running total

11:38pm Arab Student Union

Ki: I went to Kay to Sahara and it was a phenomenally good event.

11:46pm Expressions

Sam; They have a big turnout for this . I think we should fund this because it is such a good event. It has a good turnout and it's just asking for the essentials.

Add to running total.

11:48p HCSU

D: 4000 for skylight is a lot.

Results

4 opposed, 2 abstaining, 1 not present.