

## **Finance Board Meeting Minutes**

**Date: March 13, 2012**

**Location: Commons 318**

Call meeting to order at: 5:34pm

### Members Present

Michelle Kuah

Kaylesh Ramu

Damani Lewis

Kian Larijani

Ebony Tongo

Morgan Russo

Samantha Spehr

First Year Ambassador

Sheetal Chopra

Secretary

Jasmine (Yasmin) Wands

### **5:34pm Meeting Prep**

### **5:39pm Approval of Election Board Confirmation for Corey Rudolph**

~Results~

6 for, 0 opposed, 0 abstaining, 1 not present

### **6pm Hindu Student Council**

*{Note: Michelle explains situation with limited funding. }*

~Description~

“The Hindu Student Council is hosting Holi on Erickson field. We've changed the date to April 6th so that we'd have more time to plan. The starting time is the same, 4pm-6pm. The materials for this event to occur are cases of colored powder, 8 cases. Last year, we used ten, but we tried to decrease it, because we know you guys are tight on funds. It's \$50 each for a total of \$400. We're also requesting funding for 3 jars of soap from Costco at \$6 each, to be used for a slip n slide. We'll be using the slip n' slide that we made last year as per the previous finance board's request. We're also requesting funding for 5 packets of water balloons at \$4 each for a total of \$20.”

~Questions~

Samantha: What are you doing about clean up?

A: The only trash that I know of are packets of color and normally we just stay up after, pick up the trash, and then throw it away. The rain usually washes the colors away.

Kaylesh: How do you plan on advertising?

A: Through facebook, spotlight, and by posting an event on myumbc. There is no need to get a marketing package. People come by, see us playing, and just join in.

Michelle: Can you describe what Holi is?

A: Holi is the Hindu festival of colors. We've always used the color. It's a fun time. The color washes away after using the shower.

### **6:05pm Tau Kappa Epsilon**

*~Description~*

What we're trying to do is have an event to raise awareness about safe driving. At the same time, we want to raise some money for the Lansdowne fire department. It's pretty close by here. It has happened before and it was pretty successful. We want to make it better than last time. We're trying to have it in the sports zone, which is probably not going to hold enough people, but it'll hold enough for us to have a successful event. It's going to be on May 11th. We've already reserved the room. The most important thing we're going to need is the sound equipment. We're willingly to decrease the amount we have for contracts, which totals at \$1,200 for 2 bands and 1 comedian. We decided against requesting food and marketing in order to avoid extra expenditure at the Finance Board's sake. For marketing, we'll have different organizations perform which will lead to people from other organizations coming. We also plan to utilize facebook and outlook.

{Note: Org also asks about freely funding one food event per semester. Michelle explains the actual policy. Shannon brings up a point that the sound is actually \$210.}

*~Questions~*

Samantha: Since this is a benefit concert, it says that you are not charging students, so where would the money come from? Is it donations?

A: The real focus is on the awareness. Last year, which was funded by the SGA, we had people sign the banner with their handprint. This year, we were going to display that banner to remind them that they made a pledge to not drink and drive. We're trying to bring awareness that people should be conscious of what they do when they are driving.

Michelle: Can you go into more detail about the contracts?

A: The host is going to be a comedian. We were going to give him \$200 and we were going to have two bands. Each one is was going to get an hour long to perform. That's going to be \$500 per band. That's a full band...drummer, musician, guitarist, singers...but they also need to provide their own sound....someone to manage the sound. So the \$500 would also be going to the sound guy too.

Michelle: Are these off-campus musicians?

A: Yes, they are professionals.

Michelle: Is there anyway this event can happen without finance board funding it?

A: No, not without the sound. Without the performers, I'm not really sure if the concert would happen. The first hour was going to be amateur students, but we didn't want them to be a full show.

Kian: What is the lowest amount that you can accept while still being able to have the event in a good manner? In other words, how much money can your organization put towards the event?

A: Sound is first priority. We didn't plan on putting money towards it. We can't afford it. We can reduce the contracts in half if necessary, but in order to do that, we would have to get rid of one of the musicians.

Kian: Would you have to cut down the length of the event then?

A: Not necessarily. We would just have to find more amateur performers from different organizations..

Kian: Do you all have a rough estimate of how much you can possibly contribute?

A: Maybe \$30 to \$40 in our carry-over.

Sam: How do you select the students that do perform?

A: We're trying to get people from the greek community. We still have time to plan, but we want the last two hours to be mostly professional performers. At 4 o'clock, the musicians will start bringing their equipment and then we'll have a soundcheck at 4:30pm. At 6 o'clock is probably when the performances will actually start. It'll be one hour of amateurs and two hours of professionals.

Sam: Have you used your thousand free copies?

A: We have a lot left. We'll probably used those too.

Kian: How many people do you expect to attend?

A: Probably 100 people, which is the capacity of the sportszone.

Sam: Is that about how many attended last year?

A: I think it was a little less.

### **6:19pm Gospel Choir**

Need amount for Young Americans for free

Description:

- Tabled from  
New total, \$2,650

Shannon: They have another large scholar event in May for a large amount of money. It should be either one or another. It's two large contracts they're looking to turn in.

Michelle: I know it's our practice to look at what we have in front of us, but in light of our current situations. How do you feel about expressions in particular?

Sam: I do agree that it would be more logical to fund one. But I don't want to say which one we should fund. It's so soon and because it's a large scale event it gives them two weeks to throw together this large scale event.

Michelle: Should we call? And if we do, are there any questions?

Kaylesh: How are they doing as far as this event right now? Are you prepared for expressions?

Shannon: As of now, I have not received any contracts for expressions.

Michelle: For me, I want to know their thought process for two consecutive large scale events

Craig: Be careful when talking to them, not to present them with we're definitely going to do one or another.

Kian: Are we going to fund it tonight or nothing, because it's going to be soon.

Michelle: This was going to be voted on tonight because of the fact that it's so soon.

Kian called Gospel choir. Will submit contract. Other than contracts, prepared for the event. For both events, the org will be able to fund both, except for the contracts. If both events are partially funded then they wouldn't have sound.

Shannon: Based upon my experience with this organization, their spring concert always sells out. I know that the organization has money in their carry over. They tend to have about \$10 per head. Expressions is a newer event.

Kaylesh: If we do fund expressions, maybe they'll have enough carryover to pull through the event.

Shannon: I'm sure their advisor...

Michelle: We're going to pause for alpha nu omega.

6:25pm Alpha Nu Omega

1st request

## Description

ANQ Week is an event that they have every year. A week full of awareness about campus issues and everyday is a different day. The advertising is for each event and its one whole advertisement and each day...and we can cut the advertisement for \$36 for 200 quarter cards and cutting fee.

Monday event we'll have someone to do Christ versus Culture. Tuesday is about music and media and its influence on us and a guest speaker who is doing it for free. The price for food, based on last year quote. One pan of fried rice, one pan of chicken wings. And the skylight lounge is already booked for it. Food used to facilitate discussion and watching a movie and then discussion. To catch random people who are interested and facilitate conversation amongst them.

## 2nd request

Cookout to foster bond in community. Another way to bring the community together. Going through Glenmore. Using the 500, it'll be between 100-150 for grilling fee. It'll be like a field day. Alumni are providing the jump rope, the hula hoops, the kickballs, and stuff like that. For the cook

Michelle: For the cookout, it says the patio for location, what is that

A: Flat Tuesday

Shannon: It wasn't in the system. It cancelled due to no response from the org. Since it's the Friday of quadmania, you may not get the room since a lot is booking you may not get the room

## 1st request

Kaylesh: Dis is in the skylight lounge? So you will have food outside?

A: Yes, because it's not allowed inside

Kian: You had all this food last year

A: Yes

Kaylesh: Can you touch on the crowd, and how you advertising and who your target population

A: We target the entire school, it's not just the Christians. It's for everyone. We've gotten a whole mix of a bunch of people, a few people who are non-believers came and they were very respectful and offered their opinion in board view. So for advertising we just pass it out to random people. We chose the topic, because pretty much everyone listens to music. It's to facilitate discussion.

Shannon: With the food and everything, I don't want you in the lobby, so email me tomorrow and I'll put you in fireside. And that'll make it a more intimate atmosphere.

A: I guess the purpose of it was just to open it to everyone.

Kian: The way I understand this, I thought it when people come in the lobby, it makes people ask what's the food for, because it's in the middle and someone explain the event to me and I thought that it was effective.

A: That was the intent and purpose.

Kian; With the food in the fireside, would it give the same purpose?

A: It wouldn't give the same dynamic.

Shannon: I was just offering, but you don't have to.

2nd request ANQ Week Advertising

No questions

3rd request Cookout

Morgan: Where is the location?

Michelle: As of now, there is not a confirmed location, but it also takes place on quadmania week.

A: I have a quick question, the time we were going to have it, what time would quadmania activities be going on?

Shannon: The general purpose is to encourage people to go to the quadmania. I know there are other events, but it's

A: I have another question, if we go through res life and get erickson, for

Shannon: For erickson, you have to go through res life.

Craig: For the food quote, did you get one from glenmore

A: Yes, I can send it now.

Sam: Do we want a quote for the chinese food?

Michelle: Yes

A: The large scale menu aren't available on their paper menu, but if you call

Michelle: If you get a paper quote you can send that to me. And Kay.

6:51pm Kian left.

6:49: Kaylesh left

Morgan: I see a movie

A: One of our members like making movies but he wants to do it for free.

Michelle: Do you have contracts submitted

A: It's just one, but that person hasn't confirmed as of yet.

6:53pm Kaylesh returns

6:54pm Musical Theatre

Michelle explains issue with funds.

#### Description

Performance of once upon a mattress. 5 performances. A lot goes into production. Last year did rent, great turnout, want to include more people in club and we had 10 people in cast. With that we have a bigger cast of 17 people. We need a lot of money for wardrobe, we never had an actual set constructed. Maybe like on the other side of the budget, we can cut out and put on the set design and we want to take funds from our own bank account. We reduce, reuse, and recycle things that we had in storage. Went to theatre department and they let us use their pieces and old set pieces as well. We've already gone through other resources. There are a lot of cautious pieces that we need to construct. And that's mainly what we need the light budget for. We never really focus on props for the last 5 years or so. Some of them disappear. We don't have a good inventory of that. We've been trying to cut back and if there is money left over then we would like to put it towards the set.

#### Questions

Dam: How do you plan advertising

A: Last year we've got packaging during commonvision. I don't know if we're doing that this year, because last year, our president didn't tell us too much. I think what we're going to do is whole a flash movie and advertising through our other events and we've told people about it.

D: There are free ways other than commonvision, like facebook, spotlight, myumbc, and each organizations have 1000 free black and white copies. Just go to student involvement center and those venues tend to be pretty helpful.

Sam: For your budget, you have tax listed. Where are you getting these materials from

A: From companies outside of umbc, but the same from last year

Sam: are they online?

A: It's in MD, like 15 minutes away.

Michelle: any student org that is using the student dollars to buy things are exempt from sales tax within the state of md. If you can just send me the quote, we'll just take off tax amount and that'll be the total.

Kian returns at 7:02pm

Morgan: Do you have breakdowns of what you're specifically buying. It looks like you're just listing numbers

A: We have someone in charge of each thing but we can be more specific

Kaylesh: Did you have 5 shows last year

A; We had six last year. Two weekends, but we're coming in

Kaylesh: How is attendance usually

A; Our last show in the ballroom went to max. The last weekend in 306 filled to max capacity. So like a 1000 in a weekend. And first is like 500 people

Michelle: About props, do you have breakdowns for props

A: For now, we're looking more into theatre storage, but hopefully we can eliminate that completely. We're looking at a mattress, headpiece, and staff, but the last two are like for costumes. \$1400 is like the budget for lights. I think the costume budget and we'll use it for props and set.

Michelle: when we fund things, you can only use the money based on the category it is under. For props, where did you get the 100 from?

A: The number is from what we felt we needed. We do need a staff, and a mattress and we know it's not cheap.

Michelle: IF you can send that breakdown in addition to the other stuff just so we know what the other stuff is through.

Dam: Will there be a charge for non-students?

A: \$5

Sam; You do the same show every year?

A: Diff. Every year

Sam: Do you reuse costumes?

A: We keep them in storage and reuse them

Michelle: you mentioned things being lost or stolen. Have you made plans that make sure that stuff spent last year will be stored in saved?



A: They've gotten a new storage department and we'll be working with them to store stuff. We've made a relationship with the theater and they say we have space.

7:09 PAKSA

Michelle explains issue with funding.

Description

Comedy Night. Gotten in contact with a comedian who is flying from Toronto and Jess Raine. A lot of people like him and because our event is on May 11, we want a stress relief/ cultural event that will get people to loosen up and under food I want snacks from peapod and for marketing package we got 3a and flight hotel and meals we brought that down a lot by buying cheaper flights. At 1280 is what we brought it down to.

Sam: Have you had an event like this before?

A: No, we've never done comedy event

Morgan: Where is the event?

A: Skylight lounge

Kay: Can you walk me through your event?

A: So we want to open up with local talent and performances and we want to open up with a local comedian. We'll have local performances comedian, dancers, and maybe a powerpoint to inform them about it. Towards the end, after Jess is gone, we want to do an open dance floor for the rest of the night.

Kay: Can you elaborate on the powerpoint?

A: It'll be mostly informational. Teaching about the traditions of Pakistan?

Michelle: Is there a reason why you chose Skylight?

A: It's a stress free type thing.

Kay: Is the setup going to be a typical Skylight with the table?

Sam: Do you have a breakdown of your food from peapod?

A: We haven't done that yet.

Michelle: If you can send me a breakdown of that, and go on giant and take off tax. Then just send that to me. I had that done for a previous event of yours to have that happen. In that case, how did you come up with 250 as a number?

A: It's based off the last one. It's pretty much exactly what you're asking for.

Sam: Can you bring snacks into skylight?

Shannon: We've been allowing snacks, but no catered food.

Craig: Do you have the breakdown for flight hotel and food?

Michelle: Do you have breakdown for hotel and meals as well?

A: Screen shot of hotel and meals were a rough estimate over three days.

Michelle: Send it to me, and how you came up with the number

Sam: If we partially fund this event, would it still happen?

A: It's possible, but we would have to look into getting restaurants

Sam: Do you have money in your carryover account?

A: \$800

Kay: If we fund this, how sure are you that you are going to get this comedian to show up?

A: He already put it in his calendar.

7:22pm Visual Art Council of Majors

Michelle explains issue with funding.

Description

The idea is to do something that unifies the campus. I want to address the idea of contract, because of working with art week. Which deadline is Monday and if you wait 'til Art Week, it won't happen. It's open to the entire campus. It'll bring diversity together. It unifies artists and designs something in media that's not in particular form. It takes a different approach. Shows a challenge behind it. The artwork said that they are able to fund marketing. And we would request 180 from the school from the skateboard company. We want to make sure that students can participate, express themselves, and we recognize that not a lot of students do that so much on artwork and we have an issue with a lack of initiative. This event cannot happen without funding. Visual Arts Council of Majors is new and we are looking to expand ourselves. The entire Art Week is in support of it, but they aren't able to fund it themselves. This also provides ownership of campus environment.

Questions:

D: Can you provide an overview about the process?

A: 26th is when submissions are due, at that point all artwork is being prepared for art week exhibition, most if not all of exhibition will be shown through facebook and marketing. We are going to create a Facebook event that has every picture and every student will be liking it. It's simple if there are 5 submissions, the top three likes will win. The two designs that are liked will get the most submissions.

Sam: So this is done by the 26th still and you haven't advertise for it yet at all?

A: We haven't been able to advertise because we weren't sure if we were going to have funding yet

Michelle: The contest is going on from the 2nd to the 6<sup>th</sup>?

A: The contest opens at midnight on 2nd and it just goes on

Shannon: At 6 that evening, it's actually Sportszone

Kay: Do you think you'll still get enough submissions if you start advertising after spring break?

A: Earlier in the semester, there was something we advertising that submitted in the last week, we had undergrads, and grad students and it was funded by the visual arts department. I know that students can respond quickly and on the visual art list serve they have about 200 people.

Kay: If you don't get the response, you're anticipating would you be willing to extend that deadline?

A: We can, but we're working under the constraints that art week puts on us

Shannon: Artweek is a commonvision initiative and headed by Laura Schraven

Sam: You said marketing package wasn't necessary, because artweek wouldn't submit, but we'll they be sending out that flyer?

A: Just making sure they have enough material

Kain: If this isn't voted on tonight, this event can't happen, right?

A: No, it cannot.

Michelle: Do you know about the copies?

A: Yes

7:40pm Mama's Boys

Michelle explains issue with funding

First concert of the year. Friday after break. Need funding for sound and photocopies. But

explains about 1000 free copies

## Questions

Morgan: From what I remember, you guys have to ask for us to fund music rights. Do you still have to do that?

A: I don't think so. I hope not.

Sam: Do you have a quote from whoever is providing the sound?

A: We have a contract that we provide before we get funding for found.

Michelle: If you can provide a direct quote from your sound quote, and seeing as how it won't be voted on tonight. And if you can send that to be between now and 8:30?

Craig: In the past, you've requested recording with the sound? Is it included?

A: No, we're not doing the recording

Sam: are you doing the same?

A: We ended up going with a guy from JH.

Michelle: We want to see the quote to see the exact number.

7:52 History Student Council

Michelle explains funding situation.

## Description

We're an organization that facilitates history students getting together. We've had a lackluster effort in the last two years. Made a point to bring it back hard this year. These film screenings are for educational purposes.

1st request

## Questions

D: Advertising?

A: Through history classes and history student council mailing list, 2nd floor of admin list, spotlight on myumbc, and facebook page.

S: Do you have movie rights?

A: There are no movie rights, because it's attached to the professor's class. We feel those seats first and anyone is welcome to come afterwards

D: Could you explain your RSVP system?

A: Anyone can email Jen and I, and we'll put it on the list and we have room for about 30 and we'll tack your name onto that and we'll see that everything is fine. When they come in they say their name, and we say hey, you can get pizza.

Sa: When we checked this event in the R25, for this event at this one it's in a history 303 class at the time

A: The professor reserved that as a class, because it's primarily geared to the class. That's why they get priority.

Craig: So the class is in another room for most of the semester?

A: This is completely optional, more educational and for awareness than the class.

Kay: Did you approach the professor as an organization?

A: He cleared it with us and we approached the secretary of the history department.

Kay: Why you didn't reserve the space as an organization?

A: Because the professor is a guest speaker. He attached this to his class so it's like he's on the clock.

Michelle: Instead of food, what role do you see it playing in your event?

A: Aren't you hungry at 7pm? It entices people to come and watch the film instead of getting food. It's bringing more people anything. People flock to food.

Morgan: It's like a recruitment event.

A: Exactly. It opens the doors. New members, new outreach and more organization. It's an outreach to all students on campus.

Michelle: Have you spoken to the history department about sponsoring this? It's reading to me to having it ingrained in the history department, I'm wondering why you're asking the Finance Board for funding instead of the department?

A: They donated 100 towards this semester

Sam: Is there any particular reason you choose Sorrentos?

A: They do a deal with umbc. It's 2.50 cheaper and it's tax free so there are no problems.

2nd request

Sam: Is there a difference in rsvp?

A: No.

Michelle: In regards to food, it plays the same role?

A: Yes. We do expect less people because it seems that people have more interest in the other film.

A: I think you need to take in account that we haven't asked for anything in the past.

8:19pm American Society for Mechanical Engineers

Description

We'll be doing a panel night where we have speakers talking about how they are doing in the work field, what they are doing in college, and what their experience was as of now. We want people to come and understand what they did in college and what they're doing now and understand what they've done now. It's also good for networking and great way to start meeting people. There were professors and engineers who worked in the field there.

Sam: How many people do you expect?

A: About 80 people

Michelle: Do you know where you're getting food from

A: Chartwells.

Sam: Advertising

A: ASME calendar and facebook page, myumbc, professor who make announcements in class.

Damani explains about flyers

Kay: How did you go about getting food quote?

A: Chartwells online website and I also went off document that the former board used before. Last semester they didn't do as much advertising as we're doing now. All numbers are direct quotes as of three weeks ago.

8:24pm Relay for Life

Description

Philanthropy event every year that provides awareness about risk and raising money for cancer research. We weren't a recognized org for a while, just a collaborative effort between students. This year we were recognized by SGA and used to commemorate the lives of cancer survivors, those who died. We're trying to make traditions at UMBC.

Morgan: In the past, you didn't ask for funding. How did you fund it last time?

A: We got a little bit of money last year, and the event was kind of small. This year, we're trying to make it more of a celebration and trying to make it a bigger event. It was little bit of donations and out of pocket, but it's too much of us this year.

Sam: Frozen t-shirt concert? What does this entail?

A: Take a frozen block of ice, break it, and the first person who does it gets a price.

Sam: For some of these items on the budget list, what would we be paying for out of these activities?

A: Regular non-perishables...cheap white t-shirts....wacky clothes and stuff from dollar store and advertising. Joint effort of people. Root beer pong, and cups. Chips Ahoy to balance the milk.

Kay: Typically when we vote on an org request, we need an actual breakdown of the org cost so we know that the actual money would get spent.

Kay: Can you send us a breakdown of entertainment?

D: Have you prepared an inclement weather date?

A: It's going to be in the RAC if it decides to rain.

Morgan: You have it reserved or are you talking about it?

A: It's reserved

Craig: Can you describe the purpose of the event again?

A: Fundamentally, it's a fundraiser for charity.

Kay: If I'm not walking, can I still participate?

A: Anyone can participate. Individual teams may have their own money but we have nothing to do with that, but anyone can come to the Quad. It's free.

Sam: There's a \$10 fee for full fledged participation?

A: You just get ACS benefits. You get t-shirts and you can say you're a registered participant

Sam: Regarding your marketing, what does the video add?

A: It provides people insight into event and what's it's like to be in it. The price is for props, film supplies, stuff like that, help with Facebook stuff, email different people

Kian: As far as decorations, are you issuing \$10 off coupons?

A: If it is one, then we'll get it.

Kian: It expires on 31st. Do you want to subtract 10?

A: If we have enough time to shop by the 31st then sure.

Michelle: Are you comfortable with the number you're asking?

Craig: I want to bring this up now, but I think one problem is that fundamentally this is a charity event and I think it's technically not permissible to vote for it. The event sends a message that if you fund this event that you can fund any organization's charity initiatives. I don't want the organizations to come away from this decision thinking that.

Morgan: As long as the funds do not go directly to charity then it's fine.

Michelle: I think we have to see how this plays out in discussion and unfortunately our discussion will be postponed. I want to make sure what we are funding is dictated in our policy.

A: This money is for planning the event, not for direct donation.

Michelle: Any other comments or questions?

Sam: Are you asking for funding to add in the newspaper or...

A: We have articles in the newspaper, but we're trying to branch out into the community a bit.

Michelle: If you could, could you provide a breakdown of entertainment and marketing as well?

A: We're taking the 4B package from school

Michelle: How much would be split for the videos or the articles just so we know where the money is going to?

Sam: How many people do you expect?

A: More than 500

8:46pm Bangla Club

Description

We are requesting Boisakhi Bang celebration of Bengali new year. This takes place every April. It's a showcase of Bengali culture and takes place seven years in a row now.

Morgan: For the rest of the cost, are you planning on using your carryover fund?

A: Yes



Kay: Can you describe your event a bit?

A: It's a showcase of culture. We'll have dances, skits, music, and videos and our parents experience and fashion shows and mainly we're trying to keep as Bengali as possible.

Sam: You're charging off-campus attendees?

A: JHU college park and umbc are free

A: There will be performances but we're not included those.

Kay: Make sure you get contracts for those off campus

8:56pm Pre-Med

Description

Recruitment event aimed at getting members to relax.

Questions

M: For pizza, are you getting it from Papa John's?

A: We usually get it from pizza villa. They usually give us a really good deal.

M: For Papa John's, they have a deal for all UMBC students and call them and tell them what you want. Call the Arbutus one. Call them and when you have the quote for that, just send it to me. If you choose to go through them, Shawny can order it directly for you with the school debit card. It has to be in 2 days in advance prior to your event. There is a standard \$2 tip added to all deliveries.

C: It also helps to bring in the email and ads proving event's happening. Give it to Shawny.

A: It's two days prior. We haven't had a recruitment event this year. We wanted to do a recruitment event to help pick up the amount of people we have.

9:07pm Break

9:09 Back from Break

Michelle: Time sensitive

Has to be funding

Michelle: Is two weeks enough for an org can finance it

D: There have to be super crazy rush and we normally wouldn't fund back for the end of the week.

9:14pm Holi

Discussion

Morgan: Too awesome

Craig: They mentioned costco. That's kinda of a built

Kay: This kinda concerns me a bit, if we goes thourhg the extent where the exact amount the store gets us, it's harder to get a print out from that store. I think it's reasonable if an organization writes down that price and can give us that price.

Morgan: I think that this is specific enough. Otherwise, it's going to get to the point wher they are taking picures at cosco and see us.

Michelle: Right now, we don't have time for that right now.

Kian: When we allocated the moey, they are doing directly through student business sevrices. My thing with the direct uote is making sure that the prices are accurate. They get an invoice from costco and say that it's \$48. I kinda see where morgan is coming from. I think it's getting picture where it's getting the phot. I think they can go to costco.com. If we're trsting the come. What concerns me is the even numbers

Michelle: We're going to move forward basedo n the fact that. I'm not comfortable wth saying that we're asked for a quote from a vendor.

Kay: We should just larfiy what we want. I think for certain expensitures it kinda ask for orgs to go way out of reach. If totals are mathing up, then I feel uncomforatbale. If they can't accurately tell me where I can get my nubmers from. If they can get the exact numbers of what we're getting then they're perfectly fine.

Craig: For decorations, you'll still want a breakdown, but not from a company.

Kay: As long as they are ssaying we're getting ballons. I don't think it does them any good to change those numbers

Sam: We already have trouble getting orgs to follow up with us with quotes. It's going to get impossible to get orgs to follow up with us.

Kay; I think it's important in giving them some amount of leeway. I se it coming close to mircro managing.

Morgan: If you look at the budgets, if you look and it doesn't have a price, then I'm not okay with that. But they are giving round of that thws suppose to cost. But when you don't get me a quote at all. I don't know how you came up with that. But hwne you y're telling me how much something is going to be then I can kidna envisiont hat they know what they are doing. That much of quote for me. Just some arbutuary nmer. I'm not comfortable with an ambgious nubmer

Kay: I'm thinking of PSA, I'm not asking for individual quotes for your decorations we've never get specific quotes for everything except food. I can't imagine getting that except quote. We table things way more than they get it

Craig: For food, it is broken down and you want it from the vendor

Michelle: food is pretty straightforward and we definitely understand and we want to know how the numbers they want presented to us.

9:25pm Alpha Nu Omega

Sam; I want to see more of a breakdown of the budget.

Sheetal: I agree. She just said we needed form the event. I'd rather them figure out exactly what they want and get exact price.

Kay: I'm fine with it in the sense that on the back sheet. They've taken exactly what they need as far as they wanted. They do have it plan out based on what they need. I think this breakdown let's us know exactly where the funds are going to. We don't do it in parts and I think that they do need the funds soon. A lot of the last minute changes, that happens as the production is being made and it keeps on going.

Mogran: I'm hesitant on whether I think it's efficient. These numbers look made up to me. Their number isn't even right. From what I heard, the numbers didn't add up. The budget items themselves are kinda board. Like jewelry could be buying anything. I feel like they are wringing, the budget of the food broken down, they will need food, like Italian food. I don't think it's a very clean budget. I don't think this is detailed enough. I think this is just not enough. In the future, I'd like something less ambiguous

D: Org wants to throw the best events they can. I trust them to do so. It's not something that I really...it's not going to enhance or distract from this event. I feel that it's sufficient enough to know about that. It might matter where they are getting it from, but in terms of this, this is sufficient to me

Sam; Most of my apprehension is that this was something that hit the allocation remark for the deadline. I was apprehensive. Since it was so soon, we're going to have to work with this

Michelle: I kept hearing, whatever is left over. That's where my apprehension is coming from

Kain: This request of 299 and I thought about it and I can imagine that you realized that your event is going to contact a ce I think this extra 00, but I don't think that's to say the org. I trust the org. They are working with what they can. Bringing me this, was I correct in my understanding that a lot of this costume stuff will be homemade, in one hand, this isn't a professional. I don't know how much you can trust a quote from someone who is not really in the profession.

D; So when I hear that, was it that they are paying someone to weave

Michelle: From what I heard, the money that they can use to get the material to make the costumes.

Sheetal: The part that says pattern is like a clothing design they need a pattern to

Kay: I see this like putting together a fashion show. I think they are using their resources. In the last couple of years, they've sold out.

Kian: What I meant when I say it's like funding a hobby, the purpose of it to make a car, but they exist to be mechanical. With a musical theatre, I don't want to be something where it's overallocating the costume together because it's not the material. If we're having a fashion club, or something like that, I'm worried that if these numbers are arbitrary, then it's coming from I think the whole purpose of asking for the quotes is to make

Craig: I too question this. If there is a line here, that is vague, you are not comfortable with. Second, that Kian yes the org may want to throw a 4000 they wanted to throw together some kind of event. My concern that the finance board takes a 3000. Just because they are in a rush and not looking at what they are spending, they just throw the request out the window. I don't know if the finance board has to take the fair experience at these times. They are definitely making the

Kaylesh: Calling and finding out about carryover is making a good thing

Craig: Based on the policy that you just set, based on what I put down here. The proposal is one thing.

Kian: If we were to approve this allocation request, you want to approve the lighting, then do we have to approve.

Michelle: You know how they have lights,

Kian: So when they go to get their rescaffolding, do they have to attach some kind of receipt to their rescaffolding.

Kay: So technically, as long as

Sam: To answer Craig's question about partially funding they are willing to put into this, but now that I'm thinking about it, they didn't know what they have in the I was wondering how much they really prepared for this.

D: I don't want to get caught up in how unprepared the request might have been. She had articulated that she only sees a certain part. I definitely think that we need to contact her event more. I think it's a general consensus that we are, because we want to ease the stress. If we are open tonight, then we need to call Alex.

Michelle: Not just in carryover and explain the financial constraints that we're kinda facing, what we need to vote on tonight and make sure that they have adequate time to prepare. If they could partially fund it.

Macy: Basically, it boils down to

D: You just have to give me a basic understanding of what's happening.

Kay: Even though, off campus is a student she's done many shows and she that it was the budget they came up with costumes and they broke it down for themselves

Michelle: Lights or props

Kay: She didn't elaborate on that.

D: Did she say anything about a timeline. If she couldn't fund it and we have to wait

Kay: No, for partially funding it and they're putting most of their carry over into stage

Sheetal: They said that they want the funding for just mattress and that's like the whole show.

Macy: I have a mattress that they can borrow for the show

Kian: Seeing as how we have 8000 this is 30% of the money we have

9:56pm Visual Art Council of Majors

Sam; I think he knew that we don't fund it if someone else is designing the skateboard. I didn't see the bigger purpose

Kian: We looked at that last contest, it just a \$200 for organizations to come out and display their talents. I'm looking at this and I'm seeing that the skateboard is 200 and it's an art week and to be honest, he seemed really well prepared and he presented all that we asked him to. It's focused on the \$200 prize and minus the marketing it's less than that. I like how they incorporated into the visual art thing.

D: For Sam's questions, I feel like that was a plug acknowledging the benefit the students to the school. I think he wanted to tag it on so it doesn't sound awkward. It's something that we really haven't seen before.

Morgan: I agree with everything said that I think the consensus at the meeting is that if it's a trophy that it seems like everything is fine. It seems like the quote is not necessary I don't see why getting rid of something that's not necessary wouldn't be an issue. Obviously it's a great mode of advertising.

Sam; I think maybe if it was a smaller marketing package it wouldn't have as been as a

Michelle: He said not necessary.

Macy: I heard them say that they have a different source of funding for it.

Damani: If anything he could have said both, then he could have an alternative source of funding. It's not that advertising is not necessary we don't have to find it.

10:04pm ASME

D: I seemed a little more confident that they would double their advertising this semester. When it comes to word of mouth. The panel nights always gets around. In an effort to include the larger community, it;ll probably be on facebook and other stuff. Word of mouth.

S: The food price kinda jumps out at me because he expected 80 per person, but that's 11 per person

M: They mentioned food being a concern at their last event.

Mo: I don't see why we have to fund food. Just because this is a round food. I don't see why you can't eat outside an event. It's like a sit down and listen to someone talk or there is a social aspect part. I don't see why food is necessary

D: I had one. About the food and it's necessity, 30 turkey sandwiches, they overmake stuff you need a spoon or bring out. 30 turkey club sandwiches and I think the presence of food is necessary and it enhances the event and have grown to expect at panel night. When you're listening to events, and networking, it enhances the ability to do that. It's very common on an event on this. I know we're cutting back but I don't feel cutting back on.

Macy: ASME was one

Kay: He got a proposal from last week from businesses serves for what we allocated to them for t-shirts. Is it a negative or positive? Is it like a quick report. F

Morgan: How does food facilitate discussion?

Sam: I went to an event and it was awkward. It was just people there. When I went to one where it for the purpose of education and it's awkward and out of place.

Morgan: I feel like there are ways to trigger talking points. It's not how everyone works as far as talking. I think the event would go perfectly fine for \$40

Kian: I think \$140 is a big number for food. Take in consideration that it's stuck with chartwells. I think that the purpose of the food is to keep people happy and well off and it'll give people to get a great experience and also be fed. I think that the food serves a lot of serves purpose out of meant to be eaten. I think that food is one of the better ones.

D: Just to echo his point really, if I'm not comfortable walking in a room, it might be a little daunting to walk in. With the food tray, it gives people a little time to walk in, and not only the food is not only the best for that method it comes with a host of things to come with.

Macy: I don't see why they would need sandwiches, fruit and chips.

D: That's something that I don't feel comfortable telling someone what to do. I don't find it problematic asking if they need everything on here. Even though it's expensive, I find that food is the most likely to fund an event that you might not have went to otherwise.

10:15pm

Michelle: Relay for life had to come out for table, because vegfest would use the table for another event. To keep in mind, that another event impacts another event.

10:17pm Bangla Club

Kian: This is a great event I think they've made a lot of effort to reduce this, but up to now, if we were approve everything. I think that this is an essential event that caters well to the umbc community.

Morgan: They told us that they can use their carry over. From what I've got from them, I would only be comfortable with taking out \$1000.

Sam: I don't want to completely drain the carryover, but when we're in the same situation, and they don't have anything to pull from

D: It takes a lot of carry up but that means a lot of fundraisers of years to stuff. So for them to use it all on one event, and making it hard for the new event, I wouldn't be comfortable funding a little of them.

Morgan: I just want to say that point obviously touched upon this, but they were talking about their event coming up they didn't know it was going to be but it was only like an estimate, if we're funding something small and it would be a itiny issue.

Kian: We're saving ourselves 270

Michelle: Is food essential to this event or is set up

D: When we look at this essentials, it's when we're determining whether or not this event can go on or not, when funding food, it's almost along the line of essentials.

Michelle: Why wouldn't be funding setup security and partial for food.

Kian: I say it's clearer

Kay: For cultural, I'm comfortable with cutting the food when I don't see that many cultural event.

Morgan; The only reason why I would like to fund security and setup and it does vanish for some weird reason, it's not going to happen unless we do fund security of setup

Sam: Just because theyir event is tomorrow, I feel like they are going to spend responsible for the event.

D: I realize that it is an extreme event and there is always that .01 outlier or extreme oint on either the positive or negative event. If you outweigh that more. Tehre is a certain point where you can't way out weight that as heavily. So you always have an extreme point where something is either never going to happen or it's so unlikely that it'd be completely stupid.

Michelle: Are you okay with other organization and saying that finance board funding this org completely when it was exremely tighy on funding

D: Yes

Macy: Did they mention where they get the food. Is the carryover donations from west bangali families. As model UN, we got really creative.

Kian: The carryover that we have, we always tell orgs that we give them funding to see things happen on campus. I think it's very generous of the organization to offer up their carry over. I feel like in the end, it ends up the same for us or the same for themselves

Craig: If it ends up the same, about outside finance board, if it all the same, why not pick that number that you're willing the fund and let that carry over account pay for the food.

Sam: I don't think it's fair to drain their carry over

Craig: Looking at this, you funded all three components of the event which is more defensible as a finance board and like you said, the carryover we can take it at face value

10:35pm Gospel

Michelle: Where do we stand on funding concerts

Sam: For expressions, she said we can just ...not sound, does that mean she doesn't want marketing

D: I think it's going to get tough to talk about what we feel comfortable funding inside the request. I think Shannon, their spring concert is the thing, but expressions is something new and spring concert is what families to come out and it's great. I do think because money is tough we could have a conversation that finance board is cutting across the board and I realize that we have a certain we have to adhere to. It would be in our best interest to try to work with one event rather than having two events.

Kian: At the senate meeting Katilyn Snyder said she wanted us to find a way to set events apart. I think this is an example of that. I think another the senate said was that some things you just have to say no to. As good as this expressions event is, I don't think it's not bad to partially fund things if it. If we know that the event can go on, I think it's fine. I think it's different when an organization allows an event for student.

Sam: I agree. As much as I want to fund gospel choir, I feel like expressions will be a good event. I think their spring concert is really a gogetter. When you mentioned that did she talk about both events one of the other

Kian: She said we're either comfortable with one fully funded, along with the second event contract funded. Or both of them partially funded and they'd be putting in a 1000 out of their account.

Sam: But she didn't say over another. I feel like spring concert is the safer bet. It's annual whereas expressions is new

Kian: I think that given our situations when can't worry about it

Michelle: Where are we at as far as dollar amount



D: \$4,478

Michelle: We reached a consensus that we won't be funding expressions and we're trying to focus on enhancing their main event

D: I feel like we're not killing the event. They just have to do more hustle as far as fundraising, what might be in our capacity is the spring concert.

Craig: The track record for the spring concert is kinda unproving

Michelle: As Shannon mentioned, the date has been done so much

D: I think what we can do is make a decision tonight

Results

Votes

0 for, 5 opposed, 1 abstaining, 1 not present.

10:45pm KSA

No concerns

10:47pm EESA

Sam can we go through totals because they changed their food.

Michelle: We cannot fund the full amount that they are requesting.

Sam: I don't want to take off food. I don't know how they can do it

Kay: I think we should just take it out of the food. If they really need more then that's where members can chip in.

10:55pm Sheetal left out

10:58pm Sheetal returned

11pm Accounting Club

Craig: Do they have any carry-over?

Sam: I don't think so

Michelle: They increased the price of their peapod of giant and pizza.

Morgan: We're basically funding a dinner party with alumni

Sam: This just sound like a dinner they have having with their alumnis

Craig: Mayve link the tabling of this to their sudden increase. It seems like you would have had an easier time deciding if there wasn't a sudden increase in the quote.

Miche: People need time to get tickets for the show

Morgan: We could possibly spend our buget for the rest of the year tonight.

D: Nancy said that she would be willing to concur but she wants more thought.

Kay: Morgan raised a good point, if we do have only 8000 left and if we really go to the

D: Honestly, looking at all the events I feel like they are quality events. I'm not comfortable scratching some of these because all we have left is such and such.

Morgan: We're gambling on the fact that we're going to get that 30,,000. I'm not comfortable with funding maybe possibly our years budget on one night. If we do fund everything on this list and we'll have a bunch event on the same date. I don't think that's approbiate

Michelle: Assuming that things change, we have some sort of money for musical theatre we can rrange with Katie to have legislation sign and that gives about a week. They can advertising as they are gogoing to have a good event. It can be done

Sam; This list is very messy.

Kian: I think if we don't have proof right now and they are perfect events it just now comes down us to say that this is the amount of money we have and we got this list in front. I think 1-2000 tonight is extreme. We said no to expressions and countered that and saying yes to the spring semester. I am comfortable spending the \$8000 today. I'd rather see one nice UC event instead of one fo the smaller event

Michelle: I want to be careful with gospel choir.

D: I'm not a risk tasker, but I'm fairly confident in 3000. I am comfortable funding 8000, but we do need to go through 8000 and see But they know that things have gotten past in the in the past . We'll continue to see better and better request finance board is new, it use to be hose of orgs we're seeing We're goin to have to start looking at things more comfortable at the end. While this could be the end, I'm not hesitant to say that it's the end all and be all. I think in that 30.---we'll see some good events and somet good events wont get funded.

Morgan will do1-2000,

Craig: That money would rollback into the general ledger and it's an alternative is a 30,000 that migh be approved by Dr. Young. You also have the rest of the budget that's already schedule to be spend on something else, that can be rescheduled

D: 30,--- isn't the end all be all in relefi. If people decided that they are only able to fund 5000 tonight as it stand right now, I would feel comfortable funding 7550

Sa: The reasom we requested the 30000 was as a buffer zone

Kian: AT this point, the best bet is to go with the boting

11:40pm Hindu student concil

438 5 for, 0, 1, 1

11:40pm Musical Theatre

Michelle: Vote tonight

Kian: Table until we have facts

Sam: worst case senario hey have to cancel their event

Table

11:41pm Visual Art Council of Major

5 for, 0, 1, 1

11:42pm Mama Boys

5, 0, 1, 1,

ASME 11:43

9

2, for, 3 opposed 1 abstaining, 1

Banga club

4, 1,1,1

KSA 1145

3, 2, 1, 0

EESA

3000

Sam: It sounds like a good event, but I don't want to do 3000 because it never happenedbefore.

Kian: This is a new event, they will have difficulty having the crowd that they want.

Kay: I think EESA would bring out a great crowd because they are bringing out a crowd that they are known to work out.

MacyL I know a lot of people in that org that have reached a far reach in that organization. I think it's the first time they've probably have prior templates to follow.

Mo: If we don't fund this, this is a decent buffer for the rest of the year.

Mic; Keep in mind what Craig was

Ki: \$4000, is not a buffer, but it's not enough to make me decide that I won't allocate this for someone else. I think that at this point. I'm focusing only on this and not

4, 1, 1, 1

Emails

Morgan- Cribes student

Sam- episode

D- alpha

Kay

Kia

Michelle: We cannot fund the full amount that they are requesting.

Sam: I don't want to take off food. I don't know how they can do it

Kay: I think we should just take it out of the food. If they really need more then that's where members can chip in.

10:55pm Sheetal left out

10:58pm Sheetal returned

11pm Accounting Club

Craig: Do they have any carry-over?

Sam: I don't think so

Michelle: They increased the price of their peapod of giant and pizza.

Morgan: We're basically funding a dinner party with alumni

Sam: This just sound like a dinner they have having with their alumnis

Craig: Maybe link the tabling of this to their sudden increase. It seems like you would have had an easier time deciding if there wasn't a sudden increase in the quote.

Miche: People need time to get tickets for the show

Morgan: We could possibly spend our budget for the rest of the year tonight.

D: Nancy said that she would be willing to concur but she wants more thought.

Kay: Morgan raised a good point, if we do have only 8000 left and if we really go to the

D: Honestly, looking at all the events I feel like they are quality events. I'm not comfortable scratching some of these because all we have left is such and such.

Morgan: We're gambling on the fact that we're going to get that 30,000. I'm not comfortable with funding maybe possibly our years budget on one night. If we do fund everything on this list and we'll have a bunch event on the same date. I don't think that's appropriate

Michelle: Assuming that things change, we have some sort of money for musical theatre we can arrange with Katie to have legislation sign and that gives about a week. They can advertise as they are going to have a good event. It can be done

Sam; This list is very messy.

Kian: I think if we don't have proof right now and they are perfect events it just now comes down to us to say that this is the amount of money we have and we got this list in front. I think 1-2000 tonight is extreme. We said no to expressions and countered that and saying yes to the spring semester. I am comfortable spending the \$8000 today. I'd rather see one nice UC event instead of one of the smaller event

Michelle: I want to be careful with gospel choir.

D: I'm not a risk taker, but I'm fairly confident in 3000. I am comfortable funding 8000, but we do need to go through 8000 and see. But they know that things have gotten past in the past. We'll continue to see better and better request finance board is new, it used to be those of orgs we're seeing. We're going to have to start looking at things more comfortable at the end. While this could be the end, I'm not hesitant to say that it's the end all and be all. I think in that 30,000---we'll see some good events and some good events won't get funded.

Morgan will do 1-2000,

Craig: That money would roll back into the general ledger and it's an alternative is a 30,000 that might be approved by Dr. Young. You also have the rest of the budget that's already scheduled to be spent on something else, that can be rescheduled

D: 30,000--- isn't the end all and be all in relief. If people decided that they are only able to fund 5000 tonight as it stands right now, I would feel comfortable funding 7550

Sa: The reason we requested the 30000 was as a buffer zone

Kian: At this point, the best bet is to go with the boting

11:40pm Hindu student council

438 5 for, 0, 1, 1

11:40pm Musical Theatre

Michelle: Vote tonight

Kian: Table until we have facts

Sam: worst case scenario they have to cancel their event

Table

11:41pm Visual Art Council of Major

5 for, 0, 1, 1

11:42pm Mama Boys

5, 0, 1, 1,

ASME 11:43

9

2, for, 3 opposed 1 abstaining, 1

Banga club

4, 1,1,1

KSA 1145

3, 2, 1, 0

EESA

3000

Sam: It sounds like a good event, but I don't want to do 3000 because it never happened before.

Kian: This is a new event, they will have difficulty having the crowd that they want.

Kay: I think EESA would bring out a great crowd because they are bringing out a crowd that they are known to work out.

MacyL I know a lot of people in that org that have reached a far reach in that organization. I think it's the first time they've probably have prior templates to follow.

Mo: If we don't fund this, this is a decent buffer for the rest of the eyar.

Mic; Keep in mind what Craig whas

Ki: \$4000, is not a buffer, but it's not enough to make me decide that I wont allocated this for someone else. I think that at this point. I'm focusing only on this and not

4, 1, 1, 1

Emails

Morgan- Crribe sudent

Sam- episo

D- alpa

Kay

Kia