

## **Finance Board Meeting Minutes**

**Date: March 6, 2012**

**Location: Commons 318**

Call meeting to order at: 5:33pm

### Members Present

Michelle Kuah  
Kaylesh Ramu  
Damani Lewis  
Kian Larijani  
Ebony Tongo  
Morgan Russo  
Samantha Spehr

### Secretary

Jasmine (Yasmin) Wands

### Not Present

### First Year Ambassador

Sheetal Chopra

### **5:33pm Meeting Prep Time**

Michelle: Since we're only looking at \$6,000 for this meeting, we've scheduled all the orgs to come in at 10 minute intervals. We'll have them present and hear all their requests at the same time, since it's only fair since they all turned in their forms in time. We'll ask questions, but we'll save discussions and any voting at the very end. And what I propose that we do is to only vote on requests that are happening in the next couple of weeks.

Kaylesh: For Muslim Student Association, it appears to be a deadline issue. However, the prior Monday in which they tried to submit the form, there were no allocation forms available. They emailed me that day letting me know so that they were able to turn it in.

Michelle: Craig, Sam, and I identified what requests were more pertinent and they are Muslim Student Association, Ancient Studies, INDS, and Young Americans for Freedom.

### **5:45pm Confirmation of Election Board Member**

Votes: 7 for, 0 opposed, 0 abstaining, 0 not present

Steve Karlenko confirmed by Finance Board for Election Board Member.

### **6pm Arab Student Union**

*Michelle explains issue in regards funds.*

## **Description**

Requesting funding for An Arab Spring: A Celebration of Arab Culture. At this event, there will be live performances from a Lebanese dance group, a DJ, poets, and belly dancers. The group was able to reduce their food cost to \$20 per person.

## **Questions**

*Michelle: Are you ordering decorations from a company in MD?*

A: We'll probably be getting our decorations from party city.

*Michelle: So you don't have to pay tax. For any sales tax in Maryland, as long as you fill out a tax form, since we're an educational institution, you do not have to pay tax.*

*Ebony: Can you walk me through your event?*

A: We'll have people walk in and go straight to the food. Then we'll have the MC talk. Next, we'll go to the dance group. The DJ will handle all music. Then we'll have a couple of people speak about recent events happening in the Middle East. After that, we'll have various poets from all different countries, including Egypt, Lebanon, and Syria, come up to perform. After they are finished, we'll have a belly dancer perform, which is relevant to the Egyptian culture, and then we will open up the dance floor.

*Morgan: How do you plan on advertising your event and do you know the capacity of the skylight lounge?*

A: I was speaking with Shannon, and he was saying that the capacity is 140. As far as the marketing, I personally do all the designs through photoshop. We'll have a banner and the reason why we chose the marketing package we did was because we needed the 100 tickets, plus the additional 20 tickets that we added. We felt that the quarter cards were very important. It was agreed upon that we needed to do some advance marketing.

*Michelle: How many people are you expecting?*

A: We're expecting to be sold out. Typically we have about 200 or more at event, so given the skylight policy we're going to try to limit the amount of people that can come so we will increase the cost from \$10.00 to \$15.00. We do, however, expect a lot of people from off-campus to come...students bringing off-campus friends and family since this will have a family type atmosphere.

*Kaylesh: Looking at past events, how many off campus students/family do you get?*

A: We usually get a lot. At Sahara, we had less, but I think that was because of the lack of advertisement on campus so this time we're trying to push for more campus involvement.

## **9:16pm Informal Discussion**

Michelle: What surprised me was the how many people they had last year.

Kaylesh: It surprised me as well.

Morgan: Yeah, in opposition to what they said, I saw only about 20 on the list.

Kaylesh: Maybe they had such a low turnout because the event happened during Halloween?

Michelle: Other events that occurred at that time were successful. I think it was a marketing issue.

Kian: I think the advertisement last year was underutilized.

### **6:09pm Pre-Med Society (Not Scheduled)**

*Michelle: What time were you scheduled for?*

A: 6:15pm

*Kaylesh: We sent out emails over the weekend, asking for the time to be confirmed because we have a really long meeting today and we want to make sure that emails are coming in on time. I also sent out another email on Monday, asking for a confirmation.*

A: I wasn't the one who emailed you. I'm the treasurer, but the person in charge of this event, the vice president of events, is the one who received this email. I don't know if he sent a confirmation or not, but he forwarded me an email with a 6:15pm time.

*Kaylesh: I didn't get a response from him...*

*Michelle: You can come next week. If you're the one that's coming in, then it's best we contact you. You can communicate with Kaylesh throughout the week to set up a time that works for you.*

### **6:12pm Y.O.U and S.E.B**

*Michelle explains the situation with the limited funds.*

#### **Description:**

Y.O.U is requesting funding for a talent show called UMBC's Got Talent. This event will occur during the week of Quadmania. The event will only be open up to organizations as a whole, not to individuals. The prize money, which is what is specifically being requested, would be given to the winning organization's carry over.

#### **Questions:**

*Kaylesh: How many organizations have expressed interest in this?*

A: As of now, none, but a general email was sent out to the organizations about quadmania. And of those sent, only two have responded. Therefore, we plan to do some heavy marketing of this event in the next week as well as before spring break.

*Sam: Any organization can participate?*

A: Any organization can participate, however, only 8-10 groups will actually perform due to the limited amount of time available. We have to figure out how we're going to narrow down the performances, because only 8-10 will be selected.

*Damani: If SGA doesn't fund the \$200, will the event still go on? Have you all investigated alternatives?*

A: SEB already has money allocated for Quadmania, so we won't get the money from them. In the event that money isn't given, the event will still take place. We're possibly going to arrange a gym class heroes meet and greet for the winners if this doesn't work out. However, we're primarily looking at the \$200 prize money.

*Kaylesh: How are the winners chosen?*

A: Its going to be broken down into 4-5 different categories, and there will be a panel of judges who will select the winners based off the criteria.

*Michelle: This is prize money that the org will be spending right? So how they spend the money is up to the discretion of the org, right?*

A: I talk to Shawny and she said that once the money is given to the org, they can basically do what they want with it.

*Sara: It'll go to their carry over so they have to work with Shawny as far as the receipts anyway.*

*Damani: How do you guys plan on advertising?*

A: We're going to do flyers via Commonvision starting next week and even during spring break so we can get the entrances and narrow it down from there. Also, by just talking to organizations. We all know people in different organizations who would potentially want to get involved in something like this.

### **9:18 Informal Discussion**

Morgan I don't feel comfortable with it.

Sam: I'm apprehensive since we don't know where the money will go.

Kaylesh: I think it sparks good talent to come out to the talent show and I think \$200 for the event is not bad at all. I think it's a good investment. The fact that it goes to organization carry over is good. It's not a bad idea.

Kian: What gets me is that only organizations can participate. It makes me think if it's something where talent based orgs have an advantage over more organizational ones. I don't mind the \$200, but the difference may scare some orgs away.

Damani: I also have that concern, but I feel like it'll make the organizations be more creative...get them out of their comfortable zone. It's still going to carryover. I'm not too concerned, but I know that finance board has a thing about prizes, and we haven't had them in a while. It may contribute to the awareness of the event.

Sara: Maybe you all should be thinking of what good or bad flood case this can open up in the future? What if you start to see more come in that is similar to this in the future? What would you do?

Morgan: I'm uncomfortable funding it, because they pick the eight to perform and I don't think there is a good, fair way of judging who gets picked to be in the competition. I think it's better to have a trophy. I don't see why a prize. It just makes me feel really uncomfortable because there are so many factors to consider.

Damani: I agree with that point. I think a plaque would be cool. I think it'll be a first come and first serve basis as far as how they pick the ones who will participate in the actual show.

Sam: I think in its nature it favors certain orgs.

Kaylesh: It favors restricted orgs.

Michelle: What if the majority of orgs enter the main through first come and first serve and a restricted org won the money and decided to use it for ice cream social or their officer board? I know her intention was for it to help advance the org, but we don't have control over what an org spends money on and this is going in their carry over which is used for whatever they want.

Ebony: I'm not for the prize money. Either way, orgs would want to participate in the event just because of the recognition that can be gained from winning. I think it'll be successful even without the prize money.

Kian: I think the biggest difference between this and a plaque is...well, giving cash is very rudimentary. When you see things like that, each team usually puts in a little money to compete. I will be more comfortable with a plaque or anything that is not \$200. I wish that the organization would be more creative. Maybe the robotics club would make robot things.

Michelle: I've been able to raise \$200 in a single day in fundraising for my org. Even without fundraising, I feel like there are other sources that it can come from.

## **6:18pm Ethiopian Eritrea Students Association**

*Michelle explains issue with limited funding*

### **Description**

Requesting funding for Unity in Diversity. The group has already met with different organizations, including the student council. The purpose of this event, according to the organization, is to send the message to the campus, "Yes, we are diverse and yes, we are one."

### **Questions:**

*Michelle: Do you want to go into detail about your line items?*

A: Most of them are pretty much self-explanatory. In terms of food, we've talked to a local restaurant. We plan on ordering four different types of cultural foods, each totaling about \$300 each plus some room for delivery fees. In terms of contracts, we're having an up and coming artist perform. The price is mostly for transportation fees.

*Sam: Can you walk me through your event?*

A: We're going to have the food in room next to UC ballroom. We'll use time during the intermission to allow people to eat. Then we're going to have different members from different organizations do talent shows, skits, and performances. We're working with Ross Wayne to do some kind of historical telling session that will take us back and talk about African and black history. Then we'll talk about how it relates to now.

*Ebony: You mentioned that the contract is solely for the transportation of the performer, where is the performer coming from?*

A: From New York. We wanted to be able to provide transportation and possibly somewhere for her to stay for the night of the event. We also might have another performer come.

*Michelle: If you're paying them, wouldn't that just be written out in the contract?*

*Sara: Are they requesting money or is this event just to get them there to stay?*

A: We haven't made an exact decision as to how we will use the money. It's just like a charity event and the performer understands that so it's not as if she's coming here to make money. But we wouldn't want them to have to pay for their own transportation or place for them to stay.

*Sara: When you're saying a charity event, are you charging people or will the performers see it as a free event?*

A: Yes, we're charging people who are coming from off campus about \$10. Other than that, it's free for everyone.

*Sam: How many people do you expect?*

A: About 300... We've had similar events before, but we expect more turnout because we're working with more student organizations than before.

*Michelle: Can you go into more detail about the other category? It says decorations and paper ware.*

A: We're getting tablecloths and streamers in order to create a more festive environment. We wanted to utilize the colors of our flags in the tablecloths which will be about \$125 and napkins and tablecloths for long tables will be about \$100.

*Michelle: Are you planning on buying the tablecloths in a store or online?*

A: We're buying the tablecloths online.

*Sara: If you buy it online from a shop in Maryland, then tax wont be included in the request.*

*Michelle: As a finance board, we ask for a breakdown of the food cost and where you plan on using the funds. If you could send that to me, then that would be nice. We're just making sure that the numbers that you vote on are the ones that you need.*

### **6:30pm Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi Sorority**

*Michelle explains issue with limited funding.*

#### **Description**

Requesting funding for an event called Sugar. Every month the group holds an event that is specifically aimed towards women. This month, the group wants to hold event called Sugar. At the event, a woman named Sugar will come in and talk about issues regarding women, particularly how to have safer sex.

#### **Questions**

*Sara: Are men welcome at this event?*

A: It's geared to women, but men are certainly welcomed to join.

*Damani: How will you advertise?*

A: Sorry, that was not included in the budget. We're hoping to use \$30 from the amount requested to get some posters and quarter cards. It's mostly going to be online advertising, like facebook and email.

*Damani: Instead of having to take out money from anything requested, organizations also get 1000 free copies of black and white flyers per year.*

*Sara: Also, you are expected to use the money for that you requested it for.*

A: I just forgot to put it. Can I add it now?

*Michelle: If you're not sure what it is, and since we're most likely going to vote on it next week, it's better if you wait until you have the exact number and you can just add the numbers on throughout the week. Then we'll look at it at next week's meeting.*

*Sam: What's the purpose of the informational packet?*

A: Sugar's going to be bringing her own packers about safer sex for the events, but they cost a fee to print.

*Michelle: How did you come up with the \$100 for the snacks?*

A: It's just an estimate. It's going to be a vegetable platter and maybe some pita chips.

*Michelle: On the websites, you can add stuff to your cart and do a print out before you pay for it, and then bring it to us along with the advertising quote. It'll give us something more specific in regards to funding.*

A: So I should send you a peapod breakdown?

*M: Yes.*

### **6:40pm UMBC Gospel Choir**

{Note: Organization not present.}

### **6:47pm Break Begin**

### **6:51 Break End**

### **6:51pm Invisible Children United**

1st request

#### **Description:**

Requesting funding for a Kony 2012 screening. The group is specifically requesting funding for promotion, food, and equipment.

#### **Questions:**

*Michelle: So you said that the person who is doing the screening will do it for free?*

A: Yes and it's representative from Invisible Children.

*Sara: Did they say anything about copyright or is it their movie?*

A: It is their movie and we went over the copyright with Shannon. We got everything settle in regards to the event.

*Sam: Do you have a breakdown of the food?*

A: \$80 for pizza and another \$20 for utensils and soda

*Michelle: Can you send me an email with a breakdown? It's something that we ask of all orgs.*

A: Yes

*Sam: For where it asks if you had any issues in the past, you mentioned something in regards to coregistration? What happened then?*



A: Our old president didn't register the club completely and we didn't find out until three weeks before the event occurred and so business services had to freeze our account, and the event was cancelled. We made sure everything was taken care of this time though.

*Sara: {explains reimbursement policy}*

*Sam: How are you doing marketing?*

A: We're going to do market package 4, option B from common vision and 200 buttons from commonvision.

2nd request

**Description:**

Invisible Children United, along with Amnesty International, are requesting funding for an event called, "Baltimore We Love You." The event will include a screening and discussion. The screening is student made and will discuss the current issues in Baltimore. The group is trying to get two speakers from UMBC to speak, Josh Bow and Dave Serron. The two speakers will come for free. Therefore, the group is requesting funding for food, marketing, and equipment.

**Questions:**

*Michelle: Same question, are you looking to do similar things with pizza and utensils? Can you send me a specific quote?*

A: Yes

*Sara: Are there any copyright issues?*

A: Since it's student based, there shouldn't be a copyright issue according to Shannon Booker.

*Yasmin: What issues would this concern?*

A: It will be broken into multiple sections, including Homelessness, Human Trafficking, Refugee and Immigration Policies, and Human Abuse. Each section is about 10-15 minutes with interviews from those who have been directly impacted so it's like a real perspective of the issues.

**9:35pm Informal Discussion**

Kaylesh: I really like invisible children. I like the fact that the video is student produced. It seems really cool.

Kian: I really like this one. I think this is a really, really nice way to get UMBC involved in the community

Michelle: How do we feel about buttons? Last semester, we were leaving buttons alone. What makes it different if people say we need this much for buttons and don't spend it on buttons? They have done so in the past.

Kaylesh: That's the same as anything. We can't be sure that an organization is using the money for what they are suppose to use it for.

Michelle: We tested out the effectiveness of marketing with buttons with or without buttons. We noticed that people were giving them out and we don't fund give-aways. It got into details about size, placement, and distribution.

Kian: Didn't we find one good use of a button?

Damani: It was used to identify people, instead of doing shirts that were very expensive. We told them to use stickers instead because it was less money.

Michelle: Unless she has another reason, a precedent has already been set.

### **7pm Gospel Choir**

*Michelle reminds organization that they were schedule for 6:40pm.*

A: I sent an email saying that I couldn't make it at that time, seeing as how I was coming from class which ended at 6:45pm. I said that I would come as soon as possible.

Kaylesh: She emailed me but I wasn't sure if it was a confirmation...

Sara: Well, you'll be tabling the request anyway so she can just come in next week.

### **7:03pm Muslim Student Association**

#### **Description:**

Requesting funding for Islamic Awareness week. Islamic Awareness week is comprised of a series of events that is aimed to educate the UMBC community about Islam and it's practices. Each day will have a different theme, which will fall under the main theme of Islam.

#### **Questions:**

*Ebony: Can you go over your line items and briefly explain what they are used for?*

A: For supplies, we're going to have tables set up and we'll also have boards set up that will be used to provide information. Construction, paper, glue, and supplies for displays. Other than that, on Friday we need speaker.

*Michelle: Is LCD screen and power podium for a certain day?*

A: For Wednesday.

*Kaylesh: How do you plan on advertising?*

A: We already have flyers being made, so we're just waiting for reimbursement.

*Michelle: The finance board cannot reimburse funds that have already been spent.*

*Kaylesh: So if they have already brought the supplies, we cannot do the request because of the policy.*

A: We didn't get anything major yet.

*Kaylesh: Can you just go through the supplies with us to let us know which ones to cross out?*

{Note: After talking to the organization, line items 2, 3, 4, 5, and the additional attached items were crossed out.}

A: I don't understand the reimbursement policy.

*Michelle and Kaylesh explains the policy.*

## **7:10pm Accounting Club**

### **Description**

The Accounting Club is requesting funding for an Alumni Networking Dinner. The organization hosted the event last year as well, and according to the group, it was very successful.

### **Questions:**

*Sam: Does these cost include tax?*

A: No, we were told that you all had a form that we can use to get out of paying taxes.

*Michelle: We're looking at the total for paper johns.*

A: That's a typo, it's suppose to be \$65.

*Michelle: So the school now has a new policy when dealing with papa johns...{Michelle explains policy}.*

A: Yeah, we got the email and she'll place the email and delivery is included and everything like that.

*Michelle: The school now has a standard of 15% tip; explains policy.*

A: We've assumed that papa johns had an idea we didn't want it to be lower or more than necessary.

*Michelle: Since your event is in april, if you call paper johns, you can write down or type the total cost, and then email me the information.*

*Sara: Does the peapod total include delivery?*

A: Yes.

*Michelle: On Giants, you can click on print screen after you've done everything and the only thing you have to do is cross out tax.*

A: Should we resubmit the request?

*M: You don't have to. As long as you resend it before next meeting then everything stands etc., etc. You mentioned you were cosponsoring with Economic Council of Majors ( the reservation is mentioned in their email)*

### **7:19pm Caribbean Student Council**

*Michelle explains issue with the limited funding.*

#### **Description**

Requesting funding for a campus carnival. The carnival will be an imitation of a cultural event that is mainly done in the Caribbean. The purpose of the event is to educate and provide entertainment to UMBC students, as well as making the students aware of the Caribbean student council.

#### **Questions**

*Damani: How many people do you expect to come?*

A: 250 and more.

*Michelle: Do you have any details in regards to the place where you're getting your food from?*

A: We're getting food from a place called West Indian Flavors.

*Michelle: Do you have the breakdown of the food cost?*

A: My other board member has the breakdown.

*Sam: What is paint powder?*

A: Paint powder is paint in powder form.

*Sam: What are you using it for?*

A: People can use it to paint other people.

*Kaylesh: Do you already have this confirmed for the 12th of May?*

*Sara: It's already reserved. Normally, we can't have events on reading day, but it must have been approved since it's reserved.*

*Michelle: In regards to food and drink, email me a specific breakdown for each and do not include tax in that total.*

## **7:27pm UMBC Vegetarian**

*Michelle explains issue in regards to funding.*

### **Description**

Requesting funding for Baltimore Veg Fest which is an annual event that takes place on Erickson filed. Veg Fest is a community wide event that includes other college as well. The purpose of the event is unite the vegetarian community and provide publicity for UMBC.

### **Questions**

*Ebony: What are the tote bags for?*

A: Many veg fest do it. It's advertisement and it includes samples and freebies and cool stuff from sponsors so that people can get an overview of the festival. It also acts as publicity for the those at the tables.

*Michelle: Can you describe to us what veg fest is?*

A: We'll have three speakers who will be talking throughout the day. We will have food available from different restaurants in the area. We will also have about 100 tables from different non-profits and restaurants in the areas.

*Sam: I just want to clarify, the tote bag is a goodie bag?*

A: Yes.

*Kian: Can you clarify what's in the tote bag specifically?*

A: We don't know for sure. Last year, they were spotty with unequal distribution such as nonperishable food items and different things we could get. This year, we would like to fill all the bags, which we didn't do last year and fill them out more.

*Kaylesh: If we don't fund the t-shirts, do you have different alternatives for funding in regards to that?*

A: No, we just wouldn't get the shirts.

*Kaylesh: Are all the volunteers in your organization?*

A: Yes.

*Sam: What is the purpose of the t-shirts? What role do they play in the event?*

A: The t-shirts let people know who is working at the event.

*Damani: Can you explain more about the contracts and tote bag components?*

A: Contracts are the estimate of the cost for the speakers. They include speaking fees and travel cost.

*D: So Nathan and Erica will be talking, but Douglas will be providing food?*

A: Douglas will be doing a food demonstration and speaking.

*D: Is there any link between Douglas and the tote bags?*

A: No, they are separate. He'll be bringing books and he's also coming from Canada so those cost are included.

*Damani: Can you explain the tote bag, please?*

A: It's a big draw to get the first 300 people to come and it raises awareness. It exposes new people through food samples and literature.

*Ebony: Can you explain the marketing?*

A: We're using commonvision, the Baltimore city paper, the retriever weekly, and t-shirts for marketing. The t-shirts are included for marketing, because we'll be wearing them before and after the event.

*Sam: So are you still doing the city wide marketing?*

A: Yes, and that includes flyers that are citywide and Baltimore City paper.

*Ebony: Can you give a breakdown of the marketing?*

A: Commonvision we're doing package 4, option C, 500 buttons from commonvision, 150 flyers that will be distributed throughout various colleges, vegetarian friendly restaurants, and two issues in school newspapers. Then we have Baltimore City Newspaper for 4 weeks.

*Ebony: So you're really targeting off campus?*

A: Yes, we're trying to reach the entire vegan community. We get a lot of young college age students.

*Kian: You mentioned that your tote bag is an essential part of your event? It seems expensive for just a giveaway. Why can't you just use a plastic bag, instead of a tote bag?*

A: Plastic bags just aren't green. Using reusable bags would support the school's green initiative. People will see these bags and see the "veg fest" sign and wonder if the event will occur again in the future.

*Michelle: So from what I'm hearing, the totes bags are going to be used for advertising?*

A: Yes, the whole thing is that it's to raise awareness about vegetarianism.

*Sam: Who hosts the DC event?*

A: Vegetarians of DC and Compassion Over Killing.

*Damani: Do you have an idea of how the tote bags will be distributed? Because UMBC students will be incurring the cost, is there a plan for releasing the bags? My concern is that the bag will go to people who are not UMBC students.*

A: It is for the first 300 people. It encourages people to stay the whole time and it attracts people and act as free advertising for UMBC.

*Morgan: So people who don't get one, how would this impact them when experiencing the event?*

A: They'll get other things. They'll try different foods. It's a lot of other things.

*Morgan: So the experience is basically the same?*

A: It makes people rush to get there. It's like the golden ticket and causes people to rush to the event.

*Michelle: For pizza, do you know where you plan on getting it from?*

A: Pacini's Italian Market in Catonsville.

A: Can you all just fund the marketing tonight?

*Michelle: We cant do that just in case the event doesn't happen. We encourage advertising to occur before an event doesn't get funded, it'll still get funded.*

### **9:41 Informal Discussion**

Kian: I am not excited about these totes. We're paying \$1000 for empty bags. The bags are twice as much as the stuff in it. It's too practical to give away. It's like a possession. It's like we're using student's money to buy possessions.

Morgan: I think I asked how it would affect people who didn't get the tote bag, and they said that the experience would be the same.

Damani: The first 300 people can all go there. I think it's a \$100 we've seen people have events for. And we don't have to go for anything.

Sam: This is not about tote bags, but I'm wondering if there is anyway to get this funded through anything else.

Michelle: I'll talk to Yasmin about that.

Ebony: My biggest problem is that it's geared to off campus students. I don't think it's really fair for UMBC students to fund something for people off-campus.

Michelle; How is this different than Be Proud allocated when we knew that the majority of money coming from other schools?

Damani: I have no problem with the event itself. I have lots of problem with the tote bags. They are being given to people coming from different states. I was throughly convinced with Be More Proud that the majority of that is for UMBC students and I was convinced that no matter who attended we'll still be getting the same quality of event. The event itself, it could use a little work. My main was the giveaways.

Sam: So for be more proud. The thing I like about that, I think that they did more research into find funds outside of SGA. I think it's something that shouldn't be coming from our money since it's geared to thing off campus. I can see how you would need it, but I'm hesitant to fund it because I don't think they are necessary. I'm like why can't they just buy white shirts and write volunteers with puppy paint on this.

Kaylesh: I don't like the idea of community wide advertising. I think we need to save those funds for large events.

### **7:54pm Korean Campus Ministry**

*Michelle explains issue with the funds.*

#### **Description**

Requesting funding for Uniting Christians at UMBC. The event is a collaboration between various clubs on campus. It is designed to bring all the Christians of UMBC together.

#### **Questions**

*Sam: Can you just walk me through your event?*

A: We'll have a welcoming committee that will be sent by each organization. There are about ten organizations total who are participating. You'll be seated with a friend or someone that you'll become friends with. After that, we'll try out best to at to welcome everyone and then have a collaborated choir that will have people from different organizations participate in. We'll sing songs together...kinda like a church event. Steven Chanllanger will be speaking for the event. We divide people into small groups for discussion and then all come together at the end.

*Sam: Do you have breakdown of the food.?*

A: Yes. And the food will be after everything is done, probably in the lobby.

*Sam: So you're having a speaker? And they are coming in voluntarily? You're not charging anything?Do you have a contract?*

A: Contract? We're not paying them so do we still need one?



*Sara: If this person is off campus, then you need to speak to Shannon about getting the contract.*

*Michelle: Do you have advertising breakdown with that?*

A: Yes, on paper.

*Sam: The total on here is \$205 on here, but on the paper \$210...*

A: Shannon recommended \$210.

### **8:04pm Ancient Studies Club**

#### **Description**

Requesting funding for a Movie Night which purpose according to the organization is to “compare ancient stories to their modern interpretations and try to find the significance in the deliberate deviations from the original.”

#### **Questions**

*Morgan: Do you have movie rights to show this?*

A: I know nothing about that.

*Michelle: Who made the reservation?*

A: The treasurer

*Michelle: Usually when you play a movie, you have to get the copyright and you have to get the cost that is incurred with that. Is there anyway you can contact your secretary to see if you can do that?*

A: I don't understand.

*Sara: Event planning will be with you, but it depends on how you title it when you plan it. Pretty much as Michelle and Morgan was saying, you have to pay rights to the people who own the movie. Depending on what company that's through, it depends on what that cost is.*

*M: And since it would be illegal to show it without the right to do so, we wouldn't be able to fund the event. Is there a particular reason you choose this date?*

A: Because of room availability.

*Michelle: Then you should contact Shannon and as it stands right now, we need to table it until you are sure of that.*

*Sam: Are you doing flyers through commonvision?*

A: Yes

*Michelle: Plates, cups, and napkins, are they through giant?*

A: Yes, I was just going to get it through the grocery store

*Michelle: Can you give me a breakdown of all individual cost when you send me the email?*

A: Yes

*Sa: If you feel like the movie idea is not possible, you could work to redefine what the event is about.*

A: The second plan is for gaming night and we already have the things we need for that. Is this something we need to redo the process for?

*Damani: If the hall is more plausible, then you probably want to switch movie nights.*

*Michelle: Any changes that can be made from tonight to next movie day, need to be made from tonight to next week. 15% tip and 2 of the free charge. So if you want to request for tip and fuel charge, just add that on to your request as well. We need to order it with Shawny White with student business services.*

*Sara: In terms of movie rights, contact [dwentz@umbc.edu](mailto:dwentz@umbc.edu)*

*Michelle: Email me when ever you get to talk to Dreamo or Shannon.*

### **9:54pm Informal Discussion**

Michelle: Are you guys viewing this as a recruitment event?

A: It's a movie night.

Damani: I can see how it could be seen as a pizza request. The movie could be showing the nature of the club itself and why you should be doing the club and one could say that they could have anybody that they have consequences from and personally, they've got in the board and they are lacking . And he said that membership has been rough.

Ky: I think it's safer to see it as a recruitment event. You don't hae to use the event. I don't have

Ki: Can we just ask the organization whether or not it's a recruitment event.

### **8:15pm Hong Kong Student Association**

#### **Description**

Requesting funding for... The purpose of this event, according to the organization, is to demonstrate the beauty of culture.

#### **Questions**

*Kaylesh: Can you explain the flooring?*

A: The event is going to be outside on the terrace, which is kinda bumpy. The floor is very convenient because you can just snap it on.

*Kaylesh: Can you reuse it?*

A: Yes

*Damani: We've been talking about this, for the tent rental did you get a really good deal or is it subsidized?*

A: We originally was going to get a bunch of tents, but we changed the layout and the amount of tents which reduced the cost by a lot.

*Michelle: For the food, the other organization are listed here, do you mean that food that are represented for your culture?*

A: Yes, most of these are listed as finger foods.

*Damani: Do you plan on contacting more organization or is this what you've gotten from them so far.*

A: We're trying to contact others for support and so far we have 9 confirmed, and because of location issue we can only do about 9-10. We're planning two per cause.

*Damani: So if you contact Russian club and you go in with them?*

A: Yes

*Kaylesh: I also want to know about the involvement of different organizations...*

A: At first we tried to group them together, at least those who have interest...that didn't work. What we're going to do is have each officer contact each club one by one. It's kind of like a consulting tactic. If they have more questions, they can come ask me. It worked about pretty good so far.

*Michelle: So your request will be tabled and we'll be in touch over this next week.*

A: Do we have to come back after it's table or will you guys vote on this separately

*Michelle: Because we don't know where we stand on funding, we don't know when we'll be funding.*

### **10:09pm Informal Discussion**

Michelle: Let's start with t-shirts.

All: No.

Kian; Has this org use their 1000 quarter cards yes.

Michelle. I think so.

### **8:25 Break Begins**

### **8:27 Break Ends**

### **8:30pm Interdisciplinary Studies**

#### **Description**

On back of request form

#### **Discussion:**

Michelle: We're voting on this just because their event falls within the next two weeks and spring break is in between.

Sam: It's straight forward. They haven't had their pizza event. They aren't asking for anything frivolous.

Michelle: Do you all see this as a recruitment event or a speaking event?

Kian: I see this as recruitment just because it's called involvement information session.

Michelle: How is this different from when prelaw have their different speakers?

Damani: I think they are just trying to provide a different service event to supplement and beyond. I don't see them as trying to recruit people. I just think they're trying to get people in the community involved.

Ebony: I think they are trying to increase the involvement of different organizations on campus.

Michelle: I just don't want orgs to think that as long as they have speakers that they we would get funded for pizza. The reason why we have the policy is so that we don't fund free food.

#### **Results**

Votes: 6 for, 0 opposed, 1 abstaining, 0 not present

\$56 allocated to Interdisciplinary Studies Council of Majors for Involvement Information Session.  
{ \$56.00 for food }

Approved at 8:37pm

### **8:37pm Young Americans for Freedom**

#### **Discussion:**

Kaylesh: It's well thought out and goes with the mission of the organization. It's one of their first events on campus so I think it's great that they are getting themselves out there.

**Results:**

Votes: 6 for , 0 opposed, 1 abstaining, 0 not present

...allocated to...for...

...

Approved 8:43pm

**8:44pm CWIT**

**Description**

Tabled from February 28th and...

**Discussion**

Kaylesh: I think we should just vote on this because we're pushing back their advertising.

Sam: Before we just wanted quotes and we got them so...

{Note: Michelle reads minutes from previous week to determine previous issues during discussion}

Morgan: I didn't like it before. I thought it was just expensive. I see it as the tote bag thing. It's a waste of money. I don't understand this much money for an hour conference. It's too much money

Sam: I don't think that 6 -8 is just the spring and leadership dinner. I think there are a lot of assumptions there.

Kian: I appreciate what Morgan said. It's an hour and we really don't know what they are doing for that hour. If you take the food out, you'll just have 80 people. I think it's safer to trust them and assume that they do need the food.

Kaylesh: I think she definitely emphasized the importance of the food, because of the type of event they are having....roundtable and networking

Michelle: She also mentioned that last time, the food was small. It was one of the things that they learned to change last year.

Ebony: Yes, and they handed out a survey and one of the issues was with the food.

**Results**

Votes: 5 members for, 1 opposed, 1 abstaining, 0 not present

...allocated to...for...

...

Approved at 8:53pm

### **9:05 Muslim Student Association Request**

Kaylesh: I think they're requesting the essentials for their event. Last year, they had ice cream and they wouldn't give it to people until they read the boards and interacted.

Morgan: It really brings a lot a lot of people

Results

Votes: 6 for, 0 opposed, 1 abstaining, 0 not present

...allocated to...for...

...

### **10:20pm Discussion of Fund Request From Senate**

Finance Board discussed the amount of money to request from Senate at Monday's Senate meeting. It was agreed upon to request a total of \$50,000.

### **10:34pm Meeting Adjourned**

#### **Email Assignments**

Ebony- Muslim Student Association

Morgan- INDS

Damani- CWIT

Kian- HCLU

Sam- HKSA